Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Some days I hate that I'm a stay at home mom....

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:43 AM
  • 20 Replies

So it snowed very hard for a couple days and schools are closed today. A chick dh works with got yelled at by her supervision last big snow for not having a back up play for child care when school is cancelled. So guess who her back up is? Me! I dont even know her, only met her 2-3 times at department functions and she's never been to my house or anything. I cant stand her husband! At one function he spent the entire time he was their ragging on my husband for not "partying". I didn't want to embarrass my husband but it took every ounce of my being to hold back from telling the jerk, off! So great, I'm her back up plan now! UGH! I have to go to work this evening myself and I can foresee this not ending well if she shows up late. I guess this is just a rant, anyone else feel like they are taken advantage of just because they are a stay at home mom during the day.

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyIam08
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:47 AM

Yes! I feel taken advantage of a lot..but I realized it was bc I was LETTING people do it. Just tell her sorry and that you can't. Just bc you are a sahm, doesn't mean you are the community babysitter.

Little_Mamma230
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:48 AM
Yep. When I lived near my SIL, I was feeling kida used at times and I hated it. Even with my mom and her hubby, and he don't even work. Now I don't live near them so they can't come to me for anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sweet_Britt
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:50 AM

You're not a SAHM if you work! lol

How'd you get roped into that one if y'all barely know eachother?

Nope, people dont assume I'll watch their kiddos, but that would drive me NUTS too!!!

Susan0805
by ~♥~Susan~♥~ on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:50 AM

I see what your saying but in this case it will cause conflict because its my husband's coworker and she is somewhat his supervisor (they are the same rank but she holds a position higher than him because he newly crosstrained) I cant really say no,she's the one that decides if hubby can go home early or go to appts (which he rarely needs to do but still) etc. I could affect our family if I say no.

Quoting mommyIam08:

Yes! I feel taken advantage of a lot..but I realized it was bc I was LETTING people do it. Just tell her sorry and that you can't. Just bc you are a sahm, doesn't mean you are the community babysitter.

night.magic
by Chicken Nugget on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Why do you have to accept to babysit? She can't find another sitter? I would have to tell her I had a dr appointment or something else.

Milaya2
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:51 AM

I had a similar issue with a good friend.  I had to put my foot down and make/enforce very clear rules.  Since then, it hasn't been an issue.

Good luck.

lifeisboog

lol And THAT is why I don't talk to anyone outside of my family. Sorry about it though. Did she even ask you to be her back-up?

lilyrose73

What does she do during summer break?  And I know the school has random days off during the year for teacher inservices, etc.  What does she do then?  Was this your DH's idea?  I wouldn't be happy either, bt if she makes YOU late for work tonight that will be a great excuse to say no next time.

KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:52 AM

I wouldn't sit for her personally. I SAH this year, but I am not taking on other people's kids. I have my own stuff going on each day.

Susan0805
by ~♥~Susan~♥~ on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Nope, I didnt even know until today when hubby came home and asked me to babysit (She asked hubby if I would babysit, she didnt even ask me herself!)

Quoting lifeisboog:

lol And THAT is why I don't talk to anyone outside of my family. Sorry about it though. Did she even ask you to be her back-up?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)