Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A little warning if you are TTC...

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:46 AM
  • 10 Replies

I started taking Melatonin January 30th. I bought some for DH to take on the plane to help him sleep and I kept some home to take because him being on a plane gave me anxiety and I took them for about a week (Stopped because I thought I was pregnant and it says not to take it if you are pregnant).
AF was due Friday, never came! I was so excited because we have been TTC, but kept getting negative tests.
I had an appointment today for a blood test to check, it was negative and I talked to the nurse practitioner. She asked was I under any stress (I miss DH, but no stress from it) or took any new meds.
I told her about the melatonin and she said that because melatonin is a hormone, it probably messed with my cycle :(
There are also some studies that say it can also keep you from ovulating.
So if you are TTC, avoid this even  though it's a natural thing your body makes, taking too much of it will mess you up!

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LucieLu
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:47 AM

bump!

MIA0223
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:54 AM

BUMP!

EsmeVincent
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:57 AM

never heard that but now that I know I will very much avoid that...thanks for the heads up :)

DeathGoddess
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:58 AM

BUMP!

saudimommy
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:58 AM

This is why DH doesn't want me taking any medications at all. Or prenatals either as I thought about buying some. That's freaky, it's getting to where you can't take anything or it will screw with your body/fertility. What's the point of doctors then in this case or medication? I keep seeing all these commercials on TV about bad drugs and all these medical devices that fail. 

Kodysmommy928
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Have you tried taking Ashwaganda?  I was so stressed while TTC that my herbalist recommended it and after a year of trying I was pregnant my first cycle taking it.  It's an Indian herb that is also an adaptogen.  An adaptogen is an herb that is kinda like a missing puzzle piece and helps your body function more normally.  You should be able to find it in a single herb formula at any health food store.

Kodysmommy928
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Quoting saudimommy:

This is why DH doesn't want me taking any medications at all. Or prenatals either as I thought about buying some. That's freaky, it's getting to where you can't take anything or it will screw with your body/fertility. What's the point of doctors then in this case or medication? I keep seeing all these commercials on TV about bad drugs and all these medical devices that fail. 

You should take your prenatals unless you are getting the folic acid some other way.  It is essential in the first few weeks of development.

MIA0223
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:11 AM

i may look in to it.
I don't have trouble sleeping often, just a few times a month, but with DH gone, I am having trouble sleeping just about every night without the snoring, lol!!! And by time he comes home, I will have to adjust to the snoring again!

Quoting Kodysmommy928:

Have you tried taking Ashwaganda?  I was so stressed while TTC that my herbalist recommended it and after a year of trying I was pregnant my first cycle taking it.  It's an Indian herb that is also an adaptogen.  An adaptogen is an herb that is kinda like a missing puzzle piece and helps your body function more normally.  You should be able to find it in a single herb formula at any health food store.

awooding
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:13 AM

BUMP!

i.heart.rachel
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:14 AM

BUMP - good to know.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)