Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We talk about wives who wear their husband's rank....well what about the kids????

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:19 AM
  • 56 Replies

I was just replying to my post about a good school for my kids and it got me to thinking.....there has been plenty of "beating dead horse" type of posts related to military wives who wear their husbands ranks.....well what about the kids who wear their parents rank???? Do you think they face special priviledges and such just because their father or mother is a high ranking official or someone important????

I remember a battle buddy in my old unit used to talk about one of his buddies kids who had a classmate who would say stuff like "my daddy's a master sgt and yours is only a sgt"......its crazy that kids learn early on that rank has its priviledges just like the wives.......

**** i dunno anyone care to challenge this???****

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
caliessence87
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:24 AM

BUMP!

babygirlsmom314
by Corinne on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:27 AM

ChunkyMonkey25
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Well my grandfather was a CSM of a whole FORT lol

Really he was and Im proud of it. lol

Its stupid, it really is.

Vandyswife
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:28 AM

I dont, and my children WILL NOT.. wear their daddys rank. yes my DH is a sgt will be at LEAST a SSGT before our kids are in school.. but that give my children NO rights to treat a PFCs child ANY differently.

I dont care if your a colonel, or a PFC, you and your family will get the EXACT same treatment from me.

MultiPara
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Sad!!! 

lil_Army_Wife05
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:30 AM

My children do not know the difference! Rank means nothing to them. In our home we do not make rank an issue. So our kids do not know to brag about rank!

Vandyswife

I dont think that is what the OP was talking about... Do youthink you are better then say me cause your grandfather did that and all mine did was Train pilots during WWII???

thats what shes talking about.

being proud is a given... but acting like YOU are better cause mom, dad, grandpa, etc did this that or the other is unacceptable...

Quoting ChunkyMonkey25:

Well my grandfather was a CSM of a whole FORT lol

Really he was and Im proud of it. lol

Its stupid, it really is.

littlejjsmommy
I grew up with kids like that... My parents were military and I hated dealing with these kids, it seemed to be just about every day when one of them would come to tell the rest of us what their parents were... I had plenty of good friends so these kids got ignored and they had their own group separate from us... I taught my kids not to pay attention to what other kids say and they are doing just fine
xxxAthena

i haven't ran into this yet with any of the groups kids but we are in the senior enlisted bracket though so maybe that's why..there has never been an issue come up because they are all senior enlisted?

Vandyswife
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:32 AM

see, I think it is importnant to know that daddy is a Sgt or whatever.. but I dont think it is important for them to know the rank process...

I used to call my dads work and I had NO CLUE what a Petty Officer was... It didnt matter to me. but I had to use his title to get him on the phone.. it was proper.

Quoting lil_Army_Wife05:

My children do not know the difference! Rank means nothing to them. In our home we do not make rank an issue. So our kids do not know to brag about rank!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)