Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Honest Opinions Wanted... Not a Donation. Am I Wrong .... PIOG

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:52 AM
  • 9 Replies

My son Steve has an incredible opportunity to go to Spain in Feb of 2012. The trip is going to cost us $2,306. At a class meeting the teacher Ms. Fouts had asked for all of the parents to do everything possible to help  the class reach their goal. 

Once there is a head count of how many students will be able to go, the teacher and students will come up with fundraising ideas to help bring the cost down. One of the things the teacher suggested was for the parents to talk with their children about possible ways we can come up with some of the money on our own. One of the suggestions was to set up a online donation site.

At first I was against it because, well I guess its pride. I am usually the one to HELP people and not ask for HELP. But the more I thought about it, I realized that it would be a probably once in a life time trip for my son and if I didint max out every opportunity and I couldn't come up with the money I would hold myself responsible for the rest of my life. 

So last night I caved and  I started this site, http://sendsteventospain.chipin.com/send-steven-to-spain Well I get an ANGRY phone call from my Aunt, who is in the midst of cancer treatments telling me that I am selfish for asking people to donate money so my son can go on a trip. That as a mom I should be the one to make these sacrifices NOT other people. That if I cannot come up with the money my son should not be able to go.

I feel conflicted... am I wrong for doing this?

I spoke to my son, and he is going to be giving half of his summer youth check towards his trip. He will be paying me back by staying on the honor roll and doing what he has to do as far as school and home life. 

EDIT I have posted the link on my facebook page and sent it to friends and family memebers. I am not asking random people to help us out. 
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Proud Mommy to two handsome sons Steven & Jaime and my beautiful princess Emily.
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
harvgal04
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:56 AM

I dont think you are wrong. If people wil donate, go for it. Sorry she acted like that towards you. Good luck and I hope he enjoys his trip.

mallowcup17
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:58 AM

bump

ddhb2007
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:58 AM

In my opinion, your son should be paying for the trip himself.  If that's by working with his classmates to raise money by selling items, having a bake sale, or car wash that's fine.  If it's by him getting a job over the summer, and saving his money, that's fine.  Just asking other people to give him money for doing nothing is, in my opinion, wrong.  If he can't come up with all of the funds, then you, as his parent, are responsible to come up with the remainder of the funds or he doesn't get to go. 

fisterswife
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:00 AM
I don't think you are wrong. If she doesn't want to donate, then she doesn't have to. Maybe your son a "be a slave for a day". I did this on one of my trips. People donated and I came to their house to clean, baby sit, or yard work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angie729
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:01 AM

I dont think your wrong. I hope your son gets the money to go and has an awesome trip. Maybe the class could do like a pancake breakfast and get the items needed dontated. They could also get items and services donated from local business and have a silent auction. Good Luck!!

Jaimeslove
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Quoting ddhb2007:

In my opinion, your son should be paying for the trip himself.  If that's by working with his classmates to raise money by selling items, having a bake sale, or car wash that's fine.  If it's by him getting a job over the summer, and saving his money, that's fine.  Just asking other people to give him money for doing nothing is, in my opinion, wrong.  If he can't come up with all of the funds, then you, as his parent, are responsible to come up with the remainder of the funds or he doesn't get to go. 

My son will be working towards paying down the debt. And I guess I dont see asking family and friends for a donation that will go towards his trip and different from selling candy bars or selling cookies for the PTA. Granted in that case people will get a physical item for their money and in this case it will be a lifetime memory. But I definitely see what you are saying. thank you for your opinion

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Proud Mommy to two handsome sons Steven & Jaime and my beautiful princess Emily.
emilysmom8
by Dawn on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:07 AM

dont think its that bad to ask for donations, although I can say that times are tough and not alot of people will donate. How about if the students make fund raisers (like car washes, bake sales, candy bar sales, raffle tickets, or they can do what my DDs school 2nd grade class is doing and host a garage sale where students and their familys brought in items they no longer needed and all the money earned goes towards a field trip they are taking, any extra money they have left over they are donating to childrens hospital)

ilovejason
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:09 AM

My aunt sent out text messages asking for donations so my cousin could get a $250 show pig for FFA.. I thought it was tacky.. But she did the same thing when it was time to buy a prom dress and FFA jackets. If you're not someone that asks for money all the time.. I don't see a problem with it.

serioussifL
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:11 AM

No, you arent wrong. Its the people who donate the money- their choice whether they want to give you money or not. They arent obligated to.

I remember our choir went to a competition in Canada. The trip cost was around $400, which was way out of my family's budget. My music teacher let met work after school for 2-3 months before the trip, organizing his music files, in order to raise as much as I could towards the cost. I was able to go that year :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)