Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

no legal marriages in texas sinve 2005???

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:53 AM
  • 9 Replies
i read in bathroom reader that there was a law written in tx to outlaw gay marriages in 2005. in 2009 someone pointed out a huge flaw in the way it was written that pretty much says no marriages between any genders are legal. this calls to question whether anyone who has been married since 05 is actually legally married. i read that and was like wtf! we live in tx and got married last year. are we even married?? lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Aamy
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:56 AM
We where married in TX in 99 at the court house, pretty sure its legal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thorntonwife
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:57 AM

im from texas but we married in Arkansas thank goodness lol

lady_kira
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:58 AM

1999 is before 2005, what she's saying is this anti-gay marriage law was worded in such a way that it included all marriages rather than just same sex ones and it was passed into law in 2005.

Quoting Aamy:

Bathroom readers are full of interesting things, I'm sure there's some sort of protocol for mistakes like that and I'm sure your marriage would still be considered as legitimate.

masonsmommy107
wow i would go to the court house and check
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Holly.

I think even if it turns out this is true and the marriages aren't legal, they will grandfather you in.

exceptalilfish
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:59 AM
yeah def. legal it was before 05.

Quoting Aamy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stacipr
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:08 AM

I work with state judges and asked for you.

You're married, trust me.  As long as the state and federal govenerment recognize the marriage, whats on the books really doesn't matter.  This is why a state can allow gay marriage when the federal government has said no.

Also, Texas is very lax about what makes a marriage ceremony.  For example, anyone you consider worthy to marry you, can.  So, if a stranger you met in the bar seems like a good minister for your wedding, Texas will still consider the ceremony valid as long as you do the paperwork.  So please don't worry.  This is a strange state, but it's one that is pretty easy on marriage in general.

And congrats on the marriage!  You've made it over 5 years and that more than some folks I know.  I'm celebrating 13 years in March!

exceptalilfish
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:21 AM
thanks for that info. texas is crazy lol

Quoting Stacipr:

I work with state judges and asked for you.

You're married, trust me.  As long as the state and federal govenerment recognize the marriage, whats on the books really doesn't matter.  This is why a state can allow gay marriage when the federal government has said no.

Also, Texas is very lax about what makes a marriage ceremony.  For example, anyone you consider worthy to marry you, can.  So, if a stranger you met in the bar seems like a good minister for your wedding, Texas will still consider the ceremony valid as long as you do the paperwork.  So please don't worry.  This is a strange state, but it's one that is pretty easy on marriage in general.

And congrats on the marriage!  You've made it over 5 years and that more than some folks I know.  I'm celebrating 13 years in March!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TessB
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:24 AM

How funny! We were married in Texas in Feb of 2003. Darn, so close!! LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)