Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It is ok not to pay?

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:57 AM
  • 26 Replies

Two summers ago I watched my brothers kids for a week while they went to mexico on vacation. Their trip was paid for by family and they don't have money, so couldn't afford to pay me to watch their kids... that's fine... I never even thought about asking for payment. However, my mom gave me some cash (out of no where) to pay for extra food for the kids.

Next weekend DH and I are going house hunting and have asked my Brother and SIL to watch the kids for an entire Saturday... morning to night (we are driving in from 4 hours away to house hunt and therefore we want to get as much done in a day as we can). This will be the first time we've ever had them watch the kids for any length of time because we have always lived a distance away.

Should I offer to pay him? Would it be wrong if I don't offer? If you think it's wrong not to pay, then how much would YOU offer?

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Trishintraining
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:59 AM

I've never paid a family member to watch my child, if they ASKED I'd discuss it, but I'd never expect family to pay me for watching my own nieces and nephews.

Aamy
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:59 AM
I wouldn't pay them. Offer to bring food for,your kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:00 AM

NO I would not offer. Yes they should do it to help you for helping them. I would ask them to keepp the kids overnight.that way the kids can go to bed on time.

ME_ME_ME
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

NO I would not offer. Yes they should do it to help you for helping them. I would ask them to keepp the kids overnight.that way the kids can go to bed on time.

That would be ideal, but they don't have anywhere for them to sleep.

dsptchmommy
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:03 AM
I would offer. I always offer when my brother watches them. He never accepts it but I still offer. Of course he is low income so that is my attempt to help him out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lanie_momofone
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:03 AM

They are family, they shouldnt have to be paid. However, if a family member was watching my daughter for the day (heck if anyone was watching my dd for the day) i have always dropped her off with her own snacks (but enough for the other children in the house)

as well as some pocket money incase they go out somewhere , and dd wants something ...she can pay for it herself and they dont have to use their own money.

MamaJane
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:06 AM

I wouldn't take money nor would I expect to pay.  It would be nice to bring some food or something fun to do though.

weezer_cookie
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:08 AM

I think it's a fair trade.  Maybe instead of money get him a small gift or something to show your appreciation.

Momsthename0609
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Honestly I would feel bad not offering but that is just me. I always offer money to family if they do a favour for me, I am odd lol.

ToraMay
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:10 AM

I guess I'm odd too.

Quoting Momsthename0609:

Honestly I would feel bad not offering but that is just me. I always offer money to family if they do a favour for me, I am odd lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)