Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Lice in schools!!!

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:32 AM
  • 12 Replies

Some of you may remember I've had some serious issues with my kids and lice or the school sending them home with lice.  I've had numerous phone calls asking me to pick them up due to lice and yet I didnt always  find  any.  but there was a cpl times that they did.    The issues with the school were bad.  At one point they even called CPS on me because they said the kids repeatedly caught them and I wasnt doing anything to stop it.  Even tho it was clear that i did, cps found the complaint to be unfounded and they did what they did.  But my issue now is that I repeatedly begged the school to check the other students.  they always said the same thing they can only check if its suspected.  Checking everyone in the class was unproductive and against policy.

Well it seems that Monday afternoon a mom found a bug on her childs head and she called the school yesterday to let them know.  This child was not one of the "usual suspects"  (they've actually used that term)  So what does the school do  they took every kid in my dd's class and had them each checked.   the entire class was infested with the exception of a few kids.  My dd was one of the exceptions.  (I actually check daily and use preventive meausres, Many preventive measures)   Out of the 14 kids in her class 4 kids did not have.  2 of wich were boys with pretty much no hair  and one was a girl who wears that scarf (i'm sorry i cant remember the name of it) on her head at all times.   my dd was the 4th. 

I just got a phone call from the nurse to let me know the class was checked yesterday and there seems to be a lice problem in tori's class.  She didnt give out names but they made it obvious to the kids who had and who didnt yesterday so tori knew.   when i begged them to please check the other kids so parents can fix it they don't. But now because of who it was that found it they check the entire class. ugggg so fustrating.

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Msgme
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2011 at 9:39 AM

bump just cause i'm still mad  but I found out the other 3rd grade classes were not checked (and i know they need to be at least i know of one student) so it must of been the teachers choice but still. 

Forget-me-not
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 9:42 AM
What preventatives are you using? Coconut oil, Rosemary and tea tree oil will repel lice. They won't touch you with a 10 foot pole. You can go easy and use suave tropicals or you can add Rosemary and tea tree oil to your existing shampoo and use coconut oil once a week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xxxAthena
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 9:45 AM

umm that's dumb...my school did school wide lice checks all the way up until high school. they would just do different classes on differentdays. I caught it twice and it wasn't because i was dirty i took showers every day however some kids will pick on others if they know who had it by having them singled out like they did yours....id be raising a huge stink. 

sparkina13
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 9:48 AM

BUMP!

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Feb. 10, 2011 at 9:49 AM

My daughter is a lice magnet, the first Sunday of every month we treat her with Quit Nits, which is non-toxic, but EXTEMELY effective.  It seems to keep it under control.  They've never come from school though, usually my sisters kids, UGH!

Kodysmommy928
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Use a neem oil shampoo and conditioner to help get rid of them and continue using it for maintenance.

Msgme
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Quoting Forget-me-not:

What preventatives are you using? Coconut oil, Rosemary and tea tree oil will repel lice. They won't touch you with a 10 foot pole. You can go easy and use suave tropicals or you can add Rosemary and tea tree oil to your existing shampoo and use coconut oil once a week.

I use tea tree oil and eucalyptus oil  I put them in the shampoo plus 3 times a week i will put it directly into her hair.  I also use a product called lice sheild its a leave in spray that also helps with tangles that gets sprayed in her hair daily.   I also use LiceMD or Lice free weekly.  twice a month i rinse her hair in vinegar (my grandmothers solution)    I check her hair daily twice a day.  I havent used rosemary but I'm going to look into that.    oh and we use a spot treatment spray well i have it just incase i see one i can spray it  kinda just sits there since we havnt found one in awhile.

Msgme
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Quoting Dzyre1115:

My daughter is a lice magnet, the first Sunday of every month we treat her with Quit Nits, which is non-toxic, but EXTEMELY effective.  It seems to keep it under control.  They've never come from school though, usually my sisters kids, UGH!

I havnt heard of Quit NIts  going to look into that.   I l ike the licemd cause its a 10 minute procedure and seems to be pretty good.   Licefree was also good but you have to keep a shower cap on and wait an hour.   the kids hate that

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Feb. 10, 2011 at 10:00 AM

It's an all natural product and since I have to treat her so often I switched because I thought all the chemicals in the other stuff was just too much.  We put it on Sunday night before bed, put on a shower cap and in the morning wash it out in the shower!  It really works great and smells like cookies!  She hates the spray that comes with it though, so we don't use it.

Quoting Msgme:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

I havnt heard of Quit NIts  going to look into that.   I l ike the licemd cause its a 10 minute procedure and seems to be pretty good.   Licefree was also good but you have to keep a shower cap on and wait an hour.   the kids hate that

breefullyme
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Lice like clean hair. Sounds nasty, but skip out on washing the hair so much. Twice or so a week is probably more than enough. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)