Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

kids and swearing

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:33 AM
  • 29 Replies

Poll

Question: Should swearing at school (see post for circumstances) be considered a "big deal"?

Options:

Yes--no kid should ever swear for any reason

Yes

No

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 50

View Results

I got a call from dd#2's school today. Apparently she was having trouble with her locker and when it finally opened all her books fell out and she said "shit". A teacher passing by overheard her and wrote her up for it.

My question: when an older (middle school / high school) child cusses outside of class and not aimed at anyone (calling someone a bitch, etc). Should that really be a big deal? They want me to go out to the school for a conference over this and I just don't see it as an issue at all.

Am I weird?

Maria--wife to Marc since '03.  Mom to Isabel '96; Joanne '98; Marina '02; and Luisa '04.

Owner-Pregnant Brides  Were you pregnant when you tied the knot? Come share your experiences. Will you be pregnant when you get married? Come learn from our stories.

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MyraEllen
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:35 AM
This situation with your daughter doesn't sound like a big deal. A warning from that teacher would've made more sense to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:37 AM

It depends on the rules of the school. If they want absolutely NO SWEARING then that's what they want. The teacher could have been nice and just given the warning imo, BUT maybe that teacher has heard it one too many times from others, and will write up anyone he hears it from.

mrswillie
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:38 AM

I think it is more about your daughter controlling her mouth when necessary.  I have teens in high school and while I know the swear sometimes, they also know it is not allowed in school and their will be consequences for breaking the rules.  They never use that language around me either.

Mamitamaria
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:41 AM

This is the first time she has ever gotten in trouble for "swearing". To be honest we don't even consider that a "bad word" at our house.

Quoting mrswillie:

I think it is more about your daughter controlling her mouth when necessary.  I have teens in high school and while I know the swear sometimes, they also know it is not allowed in school and their will be consequences for breaking the rules.  They never use that language around me either.

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Yes it's a big deal, there's no reason to swear, unless of course you lack the vocabulary skills to be upset without it!

Phenomemom
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:43 AM

People are dilusional if they don't think that this is common with middle/high schoolers. As long as it's not being mean or disrespectful TO someone, I think it's ridiculous to waste the parents' and administrators' time over something so miniscule.

Now, if they were cursing teachers or other students...different story.

People make WAY too big an issue over WORDS.

Candi1024
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Yes it's a big deal, there's no reason to swear, unless of course you lack the vocabulary skills to be upset without it!

And because the rules are the rules. If the rule is no swearing at school, then they will have specific ways to deal with it. Just because you allow it at home, does not mean it is OK at school.

Radarma
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Not a big deal imo.

"shoot" never holds the same punch as "shit".

Shit, everybody knows that.

TheatreMom97
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:44 AM
I think in this instance it's stupid to make a big deal about it. The teacher could have given her a warning & let it go. It's not like she was saying it toward someone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hrivera5
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:47 AM

I went to a public school for 2 years of highschool and then I transferred to a military boarding school.

At my public school, it wasn't a big deal at all to curse.  Some teacher's would tell students to watch their mouths...but they never really got in trouble for it.  So, I started to have a real potty mouth after a while!

At my boarding school, punishments for breaking rules were set out in a book...next to every infraction was how many hours of "walking tours" it was worth.  (walking tours sucks...too much to type to explain what it is)

profanity was 15 tours!  So, a pretty big deal.  I learned REAL quick to watch what I say.  I noticed after a while I spoke SO MUCH more properly than I had used to.  It changed the way I spoke everywhere...being aware of what I was saying was a really good lesson...and I am glad they made it such a big deal.  To this day I speak properly with ease :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)