Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnant woman mistakenly given abortion drug.

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:34 AM
  • 157 Replies
This is NOT an abortion debate.

A first-time mother might lose her unborn child after her Colorado pharmacy mistakenly sent her home with an abortion pill instead of the antibiotic her doctor prescribed her.

Mareena Silva, who is six months pregnant, received the incorrect prescription drug last Thursday. “I took it because I thought it was mine,” Silva told Denver’s local ABC affiliate.

But after she began to feel nauseous, a closer examination of the pill bottle revealed the medicine was actually not hers. “I came back and I looked at the bottle and it wasn’t my name,” she said.

“My doctor immediately told me to try and make myself vomit to see if I could get the medicine to come back up,” Silva recalled. She was then rushed to the hospital where doctors gave her charcoal to try and absorb as much of the digested drug as possible.

Silva received the mistaken drug from her local Safeway pharmacy which has since issued an apology for the error. “We are also very concerned about how this happened and we are conducting a full and complete investigation,” the store said in a statement. “Safeway has pharmacy systems and processes in place to prevent this kind of occurrence. We have a well-earned reputation for reliably and safely filling prescriptions, and we will continue to work diligently to ensure our procedures and policies are being followed at each of our pharmacies.”

But Silva says “Sorry’s not going to cut it.”

“I’m going to have to deal with this for a long time,” she says. “My baby could have deformities. There’s a lot that goes with it.”

Medical physicians are closely monitoring her bloodwork, but warn she may miscarry or the child could be born with severe birth defects. There is a chance, however, she could have a happy, healthy baby.

For now, all Silva and doctors can do is wait and see.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/pharmacy-mistakenly-gives-pregnant-woman-abortion-pill/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lanceandhailey
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:39 AM

How awful!

JADIEBUG
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:40 AM

The pregnant woman was a moron for not reading the label on her prescription.  I don't know about anyone else but I always double check my prescriptions before leaving the pharmacy and again when I get home.

Stephanie329
It's so tragic! Pharmacy mistakes happen but this is about the worst one I've heard.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jaytee
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:40 AM
That's awful!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wsv777
I saw this last night! This is just crazy and so sad!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cypris420
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Methotrexate is not an "abortion drug".  Just fyi.

JADIEBUG

And it could have been prevented if she read the label BEFORE taking the drug. Yes the pharmacy has blame in this but so does the patient.

Quoting Stephanie329:

It's so tragic! Pharmacy mistakes happen but this is about the worst one I've heard.

aguerra13

i would be sooo pissed, always check the bottle before taking the meds!!

JADIEBUG
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Exactly. It is a Chemotherapy drug used to treat a variety of conditions.

Quoting cypris420:

Methotrexate is not an "abortion drug".  Just fyi.

wsv777
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:42 AM
Op she is 6 weeks it said last night??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)