Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I Don't Know How to Hem a Dress -- Is That Sew Wrong?

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:50 AM
  • 10 Replies

I don't know how to sew on a button. I don't know how to grow a plant from a cutting, I don't know how to fold a fitted sheet, and I don't know how to cook a roast. Well, maybe I should rephrase that. I don't know how to do those things by heart, but I know how to learn them. YouTube, of course.

New research shows that Gen Y women are losing their female skillsThat sounds like we're losing our ability to bear children, and it's offensive. But what I think they mean is that we don't have the same set of household skills that our mothers and grandmothers had. There, isn't that a better way of explaining it?

And while I totally agree, I don't think it's necessarily a 'loss.'

My grandmother, Virginia, was an amazing woman. She was a dressmaker, a chef, and a florist. She smocked our blouses, cooked our holiday dinners, and I'll be darned if she wasn't the flower arranger on the East Coast. I would love to have all her skills, but I don't have the time like she did. I suppose I could make the time to learn those skills, I just choose to make the time to learn others.

Like HTML, accounting, and drinking games. Joke. But seriously, with financial independence and a ball in the air in almost every one of life's categories, I choose to take my zipper repairs to the dry cleaner. I choose to have my laundry folded for me, and I choose to make a cake from a box.

And if I find myself with some time, I'll watch a how-to video on the Internet. As male and female roles become more blended in the household, I think we Gen Y'ers will be just fine.

Are you lacking 'female skills,' and do you care?

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
zianneaaliyah
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:54 AM

I still don't know how to fold a fitted sheet.  I try, but it never comes out as nice looking as my mother's. *sigh*  

Niki_sd
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:57 AM

I cannot sew... I do own a sewing maching and keep thinking about learning just for a fun hobby.  

I can do the rest of the things... garden, cook, arrange flowers, ect.  But I like to do them.  I work full time and I do not get to do as many thing for myself as I would like.... so if I get time a couple of days a week to garden.   In the warm evenings I go out to water my plants and no one bother me.  My DH and the kids say inside, the dogs come out with me to water.   They think that I am 'working'... I am I guess, but it is so rewarding and peaceful.  Plus I love being able to just run out to the garden when I need a tomato, herb, pepper or onion.  

southernjess3
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:59 AM

wanna hear something funny?? my husband works a very manly job.....but that man can sew better than me, cook, and he even has plants! lol

Trishintraining
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:00 PM

I can do all the basic necessities, I'm not too worried about it. I don't see flower arranging as a skill I need, but sewing buttons is. We all pick the tasks we need to know how to do. And for the record, I don't think I'm any busier than my mother, or grandmother was at this point in their lives. If anything, I have more free time than they did, because less is expected of me than was of them.

averiensmommy07
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:01 PM
I can't sew or plant anything. I've bought plants before and I've always killed them lol

I've never cooked a roast either
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mama07Shorty
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Quoting averiensmommy07:

I can't sew or plant anything. I've bought plants before and I've always killed them lol

I've never cooked a roast either

I have tried to plants thing and have them grow and live but they always end up dying, I cant sew to save my life.....there is only certain things i can actually cook without ruining

MunchiesMom324
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:11 PM

yeah... I planted a garden last year - a whole 10x13 section that had been raised and fertilized by the previous owners.  They ALWAYS had a successful garden.  So, armed with my planting calendar and seeds, I planted lettuce, broccoli, corn, carrots, cucumbers and three varieties of tomato. 

I ended up with 3 tomato vines (supposed to be big juicy tomatoes, but the biggest one of the season was the size of a quarter) and one cucumber vine. 

I can't sew neatly, but I can mend pillows and put buttons back on pants.  Cooking... eh, I do OK, just well enough to get by.  My family is lucky they don't have hamburger helper for dinner every night. :)

ktwister
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:26 PM

I was raised with two parents who were very "If it's broke, you fix it"  and :"DIY"attitudes.   My mom always had a garden and we helped take care of it.    I do pretty well with a needle and thread.  I can manage to keep plants alive, that's not to say I haven't killed a few along the way.

I can cook and bake from scratch.  I can come up with my own recipes.

I was my dad's handyman helper as a child and since he didn't have a son, I was his "tom boy" daughter who didn't mind getting dirty.  I worked on cars with him and learned a lot along the way.  If my car broke down, he was always there to help get it back on the road but I had to do the work.  To this day I do my own car repairs from simple to major repairs.

As an adult and a woman I feel like I'm the minority when it comes to this.  I love getting my hands dirty and fixing things.  I feel blessed to have these skills.

tasukete
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:31 PM

I don't lack 'female skills' but I'm not lacking in programming skills either.  I think that a balance can be found.  I was taught how to sew, fold, etc. in middle school home economics class.  My mother never had time to teach me because she was too busy working two jobs.

ETA:  I'm generation X.

Holly.
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:31 PM

I don't know how to sew. I have no desire to learn... that is just not my thing. And I have a black thumb. I can't keep plants alive... at all.

I know how to cook, but I really hate cooking so I don't do it. My DH does all the cooking - he enjoys it.

I don't really care what that says about me... LOL. Though I *can* fold fitted sheets!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)