Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Husband's grandma passed away...now what do I tell my 3 year old?

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:52 AM
  • 4 Replies
My son was VERY close to his great-grandma, his Nana. And she doted on him, he was her favorite great-grandchild. We tried to explain that Nana had to go to heaven to be with Uncle Rusty & the angels. (Our good friend Rusty passed over a year ago, but my son doesn't really remember him.) I asked him this morning where Uncle Rusty was, he said "Nana's house." We said no, he's in heaven, then asked where Nana was. He said "Kevin's house." (Husband's cousin.) I just don't know how to explain it to him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
MyraEllen
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:54 AM
I saw the thread about the episode about the children's show, but we were afraid our son was too little for the concept of death so we hadn't been using that kind of language. Were we wrong?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LiesLiesLies
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:57 AM

It will take time.

It took about a year for my daughter to understand her daddy was not coming back. 

I asked her a couple weeks ago.."Skylie...do you know where your daddy is?" and she said "He is working..." I was just about to give her the speech and she said "Mommy..he works for God...he cant ever come home...he can be in your heart."

So she gets it now.

You just have to keep reinforcing that she is not coming back...and tell him she is watching over him and she can be in his heart and dreams.

MyraEllen
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:59 AM
Thank you!

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

It will take time.

It took about a year for my daughter to understand her daddy was not coming back. 

I asked her a couple weeks ago.."Skylie...do you know where your daddy is?" and she said "He is working..." I was just about to give her the speech and she said "Mommy..he works for God...he cant ever come home...he can be in your heart."

So she gets it now.

You just have to keep reinforcing that she is not coming back...and tell him she is watching over him and she can be in his heart and dreams.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MyraEllen
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:00 PM
And I meant to add, I'm sorry for your loss!

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

It will take time.

So she gets it now.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)