Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My best friend's dog got shot in the head by a police officer today for no reason **UPDATE**

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:06 PM
  • 267 Replies

Please keep her and the dog in your prayers.  They don't know yet if the dog is going to live, and if he does make it, if he'll survive with or without brain damage.  Mind you, this dog simply got out of their fenced in backyard and got into someone's trash.  He never barked, threatened, growled or bit anybody.  He wasn't a threat.

I heard a knock on my door and the bell rang a few times. I came out of the house to see animal control in front of my house and a man told me to put on some clothes and to come get my dog. I did and then came out. The guy told me that they have been trying to get him. Apparently the neighbors called because he got into their trash. I called Gus over to me and was able to get him in the house with no problems. A different officer showed up in police car number 44. He got out and talked to the other cops and brought a camera up with him. He told me to go get my dog and bring him out. I opened the garage door holding onto Gus (while he had a bone in his mouth) and the door itself. I lost my footing and fell over. Gus got away from me and ran to the back of my car. The police officer started screaming at me to get him. I was less than 5 feet away when the officer pulled his gun and said he was going to shoot. I couldn’t get to my dog while the officer had his gun pulled- it was so close to me! So the officer shot him in the head. He wasn’t barking or growling or jumping. He was just moving around like a dog. I don’t know why the officer didn’t come in to see him and why I had to bring him out. He was already restrained in the house. So I brought him outside just to get shot???

Animal Control handled it properly. I understood the tickets and stuff. But when the officer showed up and had me take him out of his contained area, he felt like he had to shoot him. Even though Gus was wagging his tail, not barking or gro...wling. Had the man not pulled his gun out so fast, I would have gotten him to sit. That man completely overreacted! And then walked away and told the cops that he didn't care. Literally he said he didn't care. So because he shot the dog, he had to make a police report. Now i have to pay two more tickets because this cop wanted to be macho and handle it differently than everyone else did. In fact, it was handled in such a manner that it was as if he had something to prove. So nonchalant and hardhearted. I never thought i'd be commending the animal control more than this "law enforcer".

Gus is going to make it!!!  He's currently at home resting, with the most horriffic entry wound and exit wound I have ever seen.  I am in shock that he made it out alive, much less with no permanent damage outside of scars.  I've spoken to my friend's husband and my heart just breaks for them all.  He left work expecting to come home and bury his dog.  My friend took it so bad that she had to take several xanax's for her anxiety and go to sleep.  On top of it, their 2 year old daughter is so sick she's been vomiting on herself the entire day.

I spoke to her husband and he has the same story as his wife.  As of right now, the police report isn't available to see exactly what the neighbors claimed, so right now it's still under speculation as to why the officer felt he was in danger, when, in fact, the dog was running away from him.  The entire incident is so disheartening... this poor dog is now trying to heal from a gunshot wound to the head and my best friend's family is just so torn.  The trauma to my friend from witnessing this is horrible... and she's not easily phased.  She's so upset.  My heart breaks for her.

Regardless of what anyone believes out of this post, this actually happened and yes, there may be some holes in the story, but right now, all we have is their version of what happened.  They are speaking to a lawyer to persue an investigation to get to the bottom of this, and if it turns out that the cop was in the wrong, then they will seek legal matters.  Apparently, where she lives, it's standard for a cop to show up when Animal Control is called, hence, why they were at the scene.

Thanks to those of you who are praying for them... Gus is doing better but is in a lot of pain.  Thankfully, he will be able to make a full recovery.

And BTW, after seeking legal advice, the cop had NO right to ask the dog to leave the confines of the house after she had securely got him into the home.  Unless he had a warrant, there was NO right there to ask for the dog to come back outside.  That's a state law, not just per county.  So that alone just says the cop was out of line.

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Phenomemom
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:07 PM

wow...

owl0210
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:08 PM

That is awful about the dog but in the officer's defense they have seconds to react and if he felt there was imminent danger that is probably why he shot the dog.

Momtogirls0823
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:09 PM

I am so sorry to hear what happened.  That was so uncalled for.  I will keep her in your thoughts.

-xoxo-
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:10 PM

That's nuts 

Reese.Cup
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:10 PM

The dog was hiding behind her car and wasn't making a sound.  He was scared and went to hide.  He wasn't a threat to anybody.  And didn't even give my friend a chance to get him.  The cop was out of line, period.

Quoting owl0210:

That is awful about the dog but in the officer's defense they have seconds to react and if he felt there was imminent danger that is probably why he shot the dog.

Reese.Cup
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:11 PM

BUMP!

2lilboysmommyR
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:13 PM
I'm sure the police report will say the dog was a threat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
owl0210

Quoting Reese.Cup:

The dog was hiding behind her car and wasn't making a sound.  He was scared and went to hide.  He wasn't a threat to anybody.  And didn't even give my friend a chance to get him.  The cop was out of line, period.

Quoting owl0210:

Were you at the scene?

mariscilla

there was no danger. it was more dangerous to pull his gun out. what if the owner had jumped to get her dog and then got shot. sorry this was a trigger happy jerk cop. So sorry. I really hope she gets some justice.

tarinah

what a prick, its cops like him that make the rest of them look bad!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)