Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what do you know about arizona

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:51 PM
  • 7 Replies

please tell me everything and anything you can about arizona, particularly in areas near phoenix. we're probably moving here!!

schools - middle and high schools, daycares, family fun kind of things, traffic, gas, rate of pay, rate of living, good things, bad things, best places to live like towns or very small cities, etc. everything! lol.

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MommaSiete
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:54 PM

BUMP!

ShirleyB335
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:03 PM

It depends on where you live, but gas is hovering around the $3 mark, schools are pretty good, I guess- my kids are in elementary school and are doing better now than they were before.  Traffic is just like anywhere- busy in the morning when most people are going to work, busy in the afternoons when people go home.  Some people drive like a-holes, not me, though :D.

I grew up in San Francisco, I've lived on an Army base, a teeny tiny town in Idaho, outside of an Army base, and in two different towns in Arizona.  By far, my favorite, outside of living in the house I grew up in, is where we are now, about an hour outside of phoenix.  It's a small town that has easy access to the surrounding areas, yet it has a lot of stuff going on that is close by.  There are family run farms out here, where you can go pick vegetables, the people are mostly friendly, and there is a lot actually going on. 

The rate of pay, I'm not really sure about, because my husband works for the state and his pay has been almost the same for the last few years.  I myself am going to school, and occasionally work part time, as there aren't a lot of hours available at my work for me.  Around here, I see a lot of signs that are for in-home daycares.  I only know how a few of them are and they're kinda pre-school day cares, both are run by women I know personally, one I've known since high school. 

Crime here, in my town, is small.  we have stuff going on in town, but we really are a little cut off from everything.  Mostly what goes on down here is kids stealing stuff out of yards, and public disturbances like loud music.

Id on't know about everywhere else, but I really like where I live.  We're close to the school, the YMCA, the fire department is almost right across the street and there are at least 3 Sheriff's outposts within 10 miles of my house. 

Something you can do is to check websites of real estate agents that are local like http://associates.10932163.eco.century21.com/ .  IN the listings, they give school information and stuff like that.  Also, if you put the name of a school into something like Yahoo search or google, you should get a link to several ranking sites that give info about schools and have comments  from parents and alumni of individual schools.  Also, check out the school district websites and individual school webpages.  There's a lot of information on all of those.  Good luck!

LancesMom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:09 PM

BUMP!

MommaSiete
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:13 PM

BUMP!

Mommy2b2324
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:14 PM

i'm not from phoenix, i'm from sierra vista which is like 2 1/2 hours away. I hear it is expensive up that way though but I don't know for certain. good luck

MommaSiete
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:48 PM

thanks

Kaybean
by Kayleen on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:52 PM

Well lets see..I don't live there, but I was born there, lived there until I was 3, but I still have family there and go visit a lot. I just went there twice in the last 18 months. I'll tell you what I know. Gas prices are usually higher down there. I remember having to literally wait in a line of cars just to get up to a gas pump. Schools aren't the best down there. The drop out rate is a lot higher than it is up here in MN (probably shouldn't compare to MN though, considering we have the highest graduation rate in the whole country). Crime can be bad in certain parts of Phoenix..depends on what area you live in. Traffic isn't too bad, because they have awesome highways, with 6 lanes on each side. Their road systems are really nice. Its obviously very hot in the summer and not many people have grass in their yards.  Most people have rock/dirt yards. I know for me, when I go down there and visit, I get very bored of all the rocks and dirt and I miss the grass and water that we have here.

TTC a GIRL? Want a GIRL in the future?
Join this group!!! We share tips and
methods for conceiving that baby girl!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/22322

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)