Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 3 yr old and 5 yr old each have their own Nintendo DS. In your opinion, what is the "appropriate" age for kids to start playing video games?

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:11 PM
  • 59 Replies

I am gonna copy/paste my reply to another group post 'cause I don't feel like typing it all out again. lol

*My 3 yr old and 5 yr old each have their own Nintendo DS. Some people look at me like I'm crazy but who cares? They asked for them and they actually know how to play them (almost better than me lol) ... plus it keeps them occupied and quiet while we are in the doctor's office, grocery store, etc. Some people might call me a lazy parent for that but that's okay.... when you have a 5 yr old, a 3 yr old AND 8 month old twins, you will take any kind of break you can get... and if them playing Nintendo DS helps me keep my sanity then so be it! lol*

The games they play are not too mature for their age -- Carnival Games, Spongebob, Lego Star Wars, Super Mario, Crayola Treasure Adventure -- so what's the problem? Also, I believe that if you get the right games they can actually be a good learning tool.

So what is your opinion?

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Aislinn
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:12 PM

98. lol I am not a fan of video games. I hope my child follows in our footsteps.. lol

Jadegirl1819
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Mine have been playing educational video games since they were about 3.  I don't think it really matters as long as they are age appropriate

amyjosh8687
Ehhhh
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
orcadarwin

My almost 2 year old plays the Wii with her daddy and brothers.  She loves it.

I don't see anything wrong with it, as long as it doesn't get in the way of important things like school work.

Guns make you stupid.  

Duct tape makes you smart.

Simple-Beauty
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:14 PM
Lydia got a DSi at 3. She's almost 5 now and doesn't pay it much attention...she'd rather color and do crafts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JenB1983
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:15 PM

My boys are 4 and almost 6 and each got a DSi for Christmas.  My oldest doesn't play his that often; but my youngest LOVES playing his.  however the only 2 games he likes are the 2 Sesame Street ones.  LOL  It's great for while I'm at the gym and such working out.  he's content to sit there and play and learn.

Kristin2008
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:15 PM

My kids (4 and 3) will play the WII maybe 10 minutes every few months, thats about it...They would rather be outside or playing with toys or doing other stuff than playing video games.

zianneaaliyah
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:16 PM

My soon to be 8 year old and 5 year have their own also. It has so cut out a lot of their fighting and bickering with each other. 

happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:16 PM
He has to be 7 to get a ds. That was the rule I made.

He is 5 now. He has a leapster that is made for kids his age. The games are educational and age appropriate.

There is no game rated for a 3 year old on a ds. Or a 5 year old. I looked into it before getting my son a leapster.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HelloKitty86
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:16 PM
My kids all have the leapsters. They love them and they are (i am gonna get bashed here) ages 4, 2, and 14 months. I also have a DSi that is mine, but my older two play it sometimes. I think any age is fine as long as you dont over do it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)