Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is it normal for a 5mnth old

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:12 PM
  • 24 Replies

ok i was wondering is it normal for a 5mnth old to be only drink 4oz every two to three hours cuz thats wat my daughter is doing

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
orcadarwin
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:14 PM

My pediatrician told me an easy way to see if your child is getting enough.  Take the child's weight and divide it by 2, and that's how many ounces the child should be drinking at one sitting.  

Example :  Child weighs 10 lbs, divide that be 2 and you get 5, so the child should be drinking 5 ounces at one sitting.  

senior_2OO8
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:18 PM

BUMP!

senior_2OO8
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:19 PM

ok so she sholud be drink 7.5 ounces then if she is 15 pounds an i divided that by 2 an it came out to 7.5

.k.e.l.l.i.e.
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:20 PM
That seems high. My daughter is 16 lbs and takes 5 ounces at a time. I'd have to force feed her to get her to 8. She's never taken half her weight's value in a sitting.

Quoting orcadarwin:

My pediatrician told me an easy way to see if your child is getting enough.  Take the child's weight and divide it by 2, and that's how many ounces the child should be drinking at one sitting.  

Example :  Child weighs 10 lbs, divide that be 2 and you get 5, so the child should be drinking 5 ounces at one sitting.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
orcadarwin

Right, so it could be 7 ounces or 8 ounces.  

Quoting senior_2OO8:

ok so she sholud be drink 7.5 ounces then if she is 15 pounds an i divided that by 2 an it came out to 7.5

A mother's child is every breath she takes. Walking hand in hand, every step she takes.
sherrie0568

Quoting orcadarwin:

WOW I don't think that is the same for every child.  My 3.5 month old is 17lbs---there is no damn way he'd be eating over 8oz.  He still eats 4 at a time.

OP, I'd ask your pedi.  As long as your LO is gaining weight normally, I wouldn't worry about it.

morethanme_you

LOL your pedi is out of his MIND! that means my 6 month old should be drinking over 10 oz per feeding.

OP, if your baby is having enough wet diapers thru the day and gaining weight well enough, they're getting PLENTY and that's perfectly NORMAL!

Quoting orcadarwin:

crystl_ring
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:22 PM

thats how much my son was drinking at that age, and he was a chunker lol as long as she is growing properly its fine. ask her doctor at her next well child check...

OutlawMUA
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:22 PM
Yeah that's crazy. My 3mo is almost 11lb and only eats 2-3oz per feeding.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
arkansasmama08
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:23 PM
My 10 month old is 19 pounds and only takes 4-6 oz when he gets a bottle. Just watch her output. If she's peeing and pooping and growing, I'd say she's fine :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)