Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Morality Issues? Christians welcome!

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:17 PM
  • 9 Replies

Poll

Question: Being a Christian makes you more moral then anyone else?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 30

View Results

So I have seen this many times recently on alot of the discussion posts that I keep track of.. and it makes me wonder...

Do Christians really believe that just because they are Christian that they have better morals then the rest of the religions?

"I'm a good christian and I would never morally do anything like this, but not everyone has morals like I do."

I see this alot, and it really makes me wonder if Christians truely believe that just because I am Pagan, or that guy over there is Buddist, or the lady sitting next to me is Jewish that we don't have "morals" because we aren't "Christian". 

My second question is... Who decides what is moral? and what isn't? Society? God? People? All of these I have found are fallible, and society is such a fickle entity anyway... So who decides? How can one person tell another person that they are being Immoral? 

For example.. I find it morally wrong that Christians for hundreds of years burned, drowned, crushed and hanged anyone who was thought to be a "witch", And that to this day "Christians" still use that as a derogatory term. But Christians have more morals then I do? This confuses me... SO I put it out there for the moms.. I want your thoughts on this! 

Now.. I will need to include this on here because I want no fighting or cattiness. I am truely just curious.

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Rickysmom4206
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Absolutely not. Christians are no better than anyone else, they are not "holier than thou", but I can't stand that they act like it sometimes.  I was baptized Catholic myself, but I don't exactly consider myself a practicing Catholic.  I have done some things that are most definately frowned upon by the church, however I don't think that that makes me an immoral person.  I think morality should be defined by what kind of person you are.  Morality should be based on if you're a good person, rather than religion.  Just because some one has sex before marraige, or lives an alternative lifestyle doesn't necessarily make them immoral.  You have to look at the bigger picture.

owl0210
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Morality is subjective.

eema.gray
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:34 PM

BUMP!

cbk_mom3
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:35 PM

No. We are ALL human, and as such, we are all gonna make mistakes. It's not a matter of IF, it's a matter of WHEN! We Christians are far from better or more moral than anyone else, at least I don't think of myself as that way. I am, however, a sinner, saved by grace, and given the promise of life eternal with God. But, that still doesn't make me any better than anyone else.

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:36 PM

There is no yes or no answer.  I think religious, not just Christian, people tend to strive more toward a way of living that is respectful of their higher power which in turn, depending upon the religion, makes them very moral.  It's not to say if you are not religious you cannot be moral.

Nicole88
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:39 PM

Definitely not. Morals are not just religious based! This annoys me! My husband is atheist and has amazing morals!

Sometimes I think Christians are the worse. I'm sick of their high and mighty sense of right and wrong and I'm Christian!

mysticlady1221
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:46 PM

BUMP!

bribribri
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:51 PM

I'm a Christian, yes. But I have better morals than most people, even when my religion is set aside. I have always held myself to a high moral standard, and it has never rested solely upon my religious beliefs.

People are capable of being moral without believing in God.

In fact, many people who tout their religion like you're talking about are some of the ones who are out of touch with both their morals, and their religious beliefs.

ddhb2007
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:02 PM

My SIL is a "good" christian.  She's always posting about "how great God is", and "how God gives her strength", yadda, yadda, yadda.  Anyhow, her parents are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary this summer.  We specifically worked around her and her husband's schedules since they have to travel 1,100 miles to get home for the week of the anniversary.  Her parents want a party, so I have planned the blasted thing, worked up an estimate ($750), and scheduled all of the vendors, suppliers, materials, etc. to pull this thing off.  Last week, she told me, "I don't think we'll be able to afford to pay for our portion of the party because we're going to Florida for a friend's wedding the weekend before."  So I've shelled out a ton of money expecting to be reimbursed, and now she's welshing when it's too late to change anything.  She's nothing but a thief which is in violation of the 8th commandment, but she's a "good" christian.  Whatever.  I just hope her children treat her the same way she treats her parents.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)