Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Names on Facebook

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:15 PM
  • 49 Replies

I've been surfing around Facebook the last couple days, seeing how many of my high school classmates I can track down.  I've noticed something WEIRD about names.  Every.  Single.  Female.  I went to school with, if she's married now, she's using her maiden name as her middle name.  None of my female cousins have done this on their Facebook pages when they got married.  I certainly didn't.

Did you decide to use your maiden name as your middle name if you have Facebook?  Why did you do this?  Do you think it's kinda strange?

Are you a political "independent?"  Tired of feeling like you only have Democrats or Republicans to choose from?  Well, there are many small parties active all across the United States.  Learn more at Third Party Americans.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/109790

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:16 PM
I used my maiden name so high school, college and other old friends could find me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
art.diva
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:16 PM
So people can find you. Most of my long-lost friends don't know my married name. But I don't do the maiden name thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SLGross215
by Sarah on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:17 PM

It's easier for people to find you when you do that. I have mine like this Sarah Gross (Sarah Rode). That way my old friends know that it's me.

AngieDawn28
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Many people do it so that old friends can still find them. If you do a search for Mary Jones who is now Mary Smith but lists her name as Mary Jones Smith, you'll be able to find her if you don't know her married name.

easternwamom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I used my maiden name so high school, college and other old friends could find me.

.k.e.l.l.i.e.
I just have my married name.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MyBabyDallen

Well they do that so anyone they did go to school with can figure out who they are...and they can also see that they are married now. I dont keep up with everyones life and when I come across someone that I know it is easier to tell who they are if the maiden name is on there...sometimes their picture is not of them.

zianneaaliyah
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:18 PM

Quoting coolmommy2x:

FL2AK
No one I grew up with knows my husband or my married name. How else would people find me?

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cherieb10

I use my maiden name so friends I grew up with and went to school with could find me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)