Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

FORMULA FEEDERS and WIC *edit with ?*

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:47 PM
  • 86 Replies

Poll

Question: .

Options:

I FF and get WIC, don't know how i would pay for it without

I FF and get WIC but could afford it without if i had to

I FF and pay for it myself

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 117

View Results

Formula is expensive!!! If you FF, how do you afford it? Do you have WIC to help out?

I'm wondering how many people would put more of an effort into BF if they didn't know they had WIC to pay for formula. I know there are situations where someone doesnt PLAN on FFing and having WIC pay for it, but I'm wondering about those who plan to FF and dont even try to BF.

So if you FF and have WIC and can't afford it without, do you think you would have tried to BF if there had been no WIC?

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.Sugaree.
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:48 PM

BUMP!

.Sugaree.
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:49 PM

and before i get bashed, i was on WIC and FF with my first. i 'tried' to BF, but i had no support and knew nothing about it, so of course i failed by 2 months.

i EBF my second!

so ive been on both sides

art.diva
I used to ff and buy it with wic checks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-Shelley-

I didn't plan on FF, but it ended up that way. We used WIC for a month, then just paid for it ourselves. That was about 3 1/2 years ago.

eeyoreplus4
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:50 PM

I BF'd my 3 oldest, but FF my yougest (adopted). That stuff is expensive!

ETA: I didn't use WIC, but I did try BF my youngest with some great help from my doctor & breast pump, but she weighed almost 11lbs @ birth & I couldn't produce enough to keep her satisfied (it had been 8 years since I had given birth).

KristaP0713
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:51 PM

I FF and have WIC for dd2.

We bought it our selves with dd1 though & it really puts a dent in your budget.

ETA: We wouldn't be able to afford it this time if it wasn't for WIC. I knew we couldn't... I took BF classes &I know the benefits, I was going to attempt it.. I just couldn't do it. The thought makes me physically & mentally uncomfortable. I'm almost positive BFing would have made me resent my daughter.. F'd up, I know..

radioheid

I formula-fed both of my children and paid for it 100% myself. However, I wouldn't see the big deal if someone used WIC or foodstamps to pay for it (other than the obvious "why are you having kids if you can't afford to feed them?") We don't require adults to attempt to raise crops and livestock before allowing them to use foodstamps. What's the difference?

crysjuls
I breastfed my son for 8months and am now only nursing him at night and doing formula during the day. I buy my own formula. But its so expensive!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Holly.

I tried to BF for many reasons, one of them being because I knew I could not afford formula. I stopped BFing at 1 month because I was uneducated and I was lied to by my douchebag doctor and my family. I regret that even now.

But I would not have been able to formula feed my son without WIC.

.k.e.l.l.i.e.
We pay for everything ourselves.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)