Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If your child became a special needs child well AFTER birth would you give them up for adoption?

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:48 PM
  • 118 Replies

Just wondering.  I have read replies about they would give there baby up for adoption or abort if they were special needs because they couldnt "handle it."  So could you "handle" a 3 year old that for some reason became special needs?  If so what is the difference.

I have not put my opinion on anything so dont put words in my mouth.  I am just asking a question.

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ceashell707
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:50 PM

I dont' know because I'm not in that position, and I do not believe that anyone is qualified to answer this question unless they have been in that position.

Crystallynn
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:51 PM

nope!  Not at all.  EVERY child is a blessing.  I have a friend who adopted her grandson after the mother shook him almost to death.  He has had numerous brain surgeries, but he is 9 years old now, and besides being a little behind, he is a wonderful little boy.  He will take a slew of meds for the rest of his life, but he will make it.  Special Needs isnt a disease, its a condition.  And in a way, dont we all have special needs?

platt2mommy
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:52 PM

That is nuts!! I would never!!!

art.diva
No....only a certain type of "mother" would do that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
texasmomma5

No I did not nor wouldnt if it happens again in the future!

W1kk1D7yNN
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:53 PM

well honestly its up to the parents for that decision. But my kids arent special needs and i doubt they will be but if they did become that way, I would keep them, no questions asked. I wouldnt even consider putting them up for adoption. I wouldnt consider that even if the baby wasnt born yet, the baby is my responsibility. There are plenty of places and ppl to help out if I need it or have questions. Now I wouldnt judge if the baby wasnt born yet and the parent wanted adoption for their choice. Im not against that at all.

momof2angels491
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:53 PM
Nope, never...
ikesmommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:54 PM

No abortions; no "giving them away"

Rileyscute
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Still have him!!! Loving it

Zoeysmom09
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Never.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)