Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Isn't this a bit excessive?

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:46 PM
  • 17 Replies

I am calling around to preschools for DD. We are relocating and I'm trying to find a program/curriculum similar to what she is in now. However, as I'm calling these places they are telling about their wonderful curriculum's that include Spanish, multiplication, fractions, YOGA, etc. One even said they ONLY work on a kindergarten curriculum with their pre-k class... so basically teaching them something they will be learning again the following year, which if you ask me is a recipe for a very bored little child.

First of all I don't feel like all of that is necessary at the age of 4 to know how to do a downward dog or speak fluent spanish. SS is 9 and just now learning multiplication and fractions... why would I want my DD to learn that?

While it sounds nice in theory to think your kid would be learning all of these things, does it really make sense? Are there "normal" preschools out there anymore that teach colors, numbers, addition, how to tie your freaking shoe...etc?

This is crazy! And not to mention the price! They are FULL day M-F programs! Sure I could send her 2-3 days a week, but the poor thing would be lost on Friday when she returns to Spanish class after missing a day! Crazy!

That's my vent for the day. It's CRAZY! =)

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FL2AK
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:49 PM
My daughter took sign language and Spanish classes in preschool. If they would have offered Yoga I would har been thrilled. We have always encouraged our kids to learn above and beyond what is normal for their age. They are all older and their love for learning and curiosity have continued.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FL2AK
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:53 PM
Just to add, I har never believed that you can teach a child so much that they get bored when they go to school. I have 2 gifted kids who I have advocated for to have their learning more advanced in the traditional classroom setting. For example my 2nd grader is writing complete stories while classmates are writing sentences. It isn't that difficult to keep a child challenged. My other gifted kid is in 10th grade and he will be starting college this summer. Higher level classes and working towards a goal keeps him motivated and interested.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ME_ME_ME
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Quoting FL2AK:

Just to add, I har never believed that you can teach a child so much that they get bored when they go to school. I have 2 gifted kids who I have advocated for to have their learning more advanced in the traditional classroom setting. For example my 2nd grader is writing complete stories while classmates are writing sentences. It isn't that difficult to keep a child challenged. My other gifted kid is in 10th grade and he will be starting college this summer. Higher level classes and working towards a goal keeps him motivated and interested.

I disagree to a certian extent. While I agree a child at that age is ready and willing to learn as much as they can cram into their growing brains, I feel it is counter productive to follow kindergarten curriculum when that child will simply repeat the same curriculum the following year... within a small school district that really doesn't cater to the needs of "advanced" children.

xxlilmomma09
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:12 PM

It does sound excessive to me. Seems like entirely too much for a child to try to grasp at once.

egyptian_mommy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:14 PM
I know what you mean. I'm looking into preschools for my ds and it's just ridiculous. I'm all for learning but there is such a thing as trying to cram too much into their heads.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaSox1982
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:15 PM

my daughter attends a montessori school and they have spanish,yoga,music,etc and during the summer they offer swim lessons at the pool through the school and transport the kids to and from in the school van,she takes music currently and she loves it.

FL2AK
Like I said. All it took was some advocating and my children ha their needs met. We do not live in a large school district. I prefer for my kids to explore their interests and learn as much as they can rather than hold them back. The passion for learning starts early and needs to be nurtured.

Quoting ME_ME_ME:

Quoting FL2AK:

I disagree to a certian extent. While I agree a child at that age is ready and willing to learn as much as they can cram into their growing brains, I feel it is counter productive to follow kindergarten curriculum when that child will simply repeat the same curriculum the following year... within a small school district that really doesn't cater to the needs of "advanced" children.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alberns303

Your education posts bother me.

If you don't want your child to be exposed to an advanced environment that will give her a head start then don't send her to those preschools.

2gud2btrue

i think it sounds great.  

and my niece was fluent in both japanese and english by the time she was 5.  it may not be necessary, but already at the age of 5 years old she has increased her chances at being successful in the future.

anikahaynes1
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:16 PM

yeah pre school is expensive, but i would perfer my daughter get acustomed to spanish, esp since we live in ca and well it is becoming MANDATORY practicly to know spanish to get a job.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)