Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Everyone is invited to tell me what they think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:06 PM
  • 10 Replies

what is your take in a vegetarian diet biblicly speaking? I have to write a paper over the essay religion and animals rights by tom reagan.

he basically concludes froma christian perspective that we should strive to create our own Garden of Eden by respecting all of gods creatures and not killing them for our nourishment when we can get everything we need on plant based diets. THoughts?

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tashangel31
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:07 PM
That whole thing ended when eve sinned.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZanderandBella
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:08 PM

I believe that God put animals on this planet for us to eat personally lol. But that's my opinion. I love meat..couldn't go vegetarian at all.

AmaliaD
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:10 PM

isnt a vegi or fruit as much of god's creature/creation as meat??     for your paper it would be interesting if you looked into kosher/orthodox laws about food -  in relation to religion i see more of a connection there.   like a rabbi would only kill a cow a certain way - if you were an orthodox jew person then you should only eat that meat (kosher meat)  and it really was one of hte most humane ways (cutting its throat,  better than being mechanicly dismembered like the poor chickens that go into nuggets.)

jenniamigo
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:51 PM

In the essay he talks a bit about orthodox jews but his target audience are those of the Christian faith. I am not a religous anything so I don't have much merit of having an opinion on this matter. I do strongly believe in animal rights and I am a vegitarian. I believe our society as a whole would benefit from giving up meat as far as our health and environment goes.

Which is why i am asking about the religion aspect i am kind of at a loss. He does make good points when he mentions that becoming vegitarian will take some sacrafice and points out that being the whole basis of the christian "agape".  And he points out that animals have the ability to fear, love, and anticipate so how are we able to claim that we have an intuit morality that animals do not.

Well the difference in "god" creating meat and plants would be the fact that plants were "created" without a central nervous system therefore no ability to think, feel pain, love or anything like that. And he didn't create meat he created animals that are able to feel and interact with their environment.

When we step away from the religous perspective and look at the science we get a whole bunch of facts. The major one being all energy begins and ends from plant matter. Without plants we could not survive, because they contain all the nutrients and energy our bodies need, not to mention the extremely important role of photosynthesis. meat eating animals are consuming the animals who eat plants, these meat eating animals are not able to break down vegitation like the veggie animals, because they are ultimately preying on the veggie eating animals for the vegetation that they already digested for the meat eaters.  Now lets throw some creationism in this puzzle.

If plants are pretty much the major catalyst that supports life on this planet by absorbing energy, storing energy for their consumers and also creating the oxygen we breathe. And our bodies do not naturally make the enzyme to digest meat, why would it be far fetched to think that if there is a god he created us to be vegetarians judging on the aforementioned facts.

Quoting AmaliaD:

isnt a vegi or fruit as much of god's creature/creation as meat??     for your paper it would be interesting if you looked into kosher/orthodox laws about food -  in relation to religion i see more of a connection there.   like a rabbi would only kill a cow a certain way - if you were an orthodox jew person then you should only eat that meat (kosher meat)  and it really was one of hte most humane ways (cutting its throat,  better than being mechanicly dismembered like the poor chickens that go into nuggets.)

clearascrystal
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:55 PM

This is really interesting. I am a Christian and not a vegartarian. I  believe in eating everything in moderation, healthy veggies and the stuff that tastes good some is okay. I also know that some nutrients our bodies need can only be obtained by eating meats or taking suplements.

daughterofearth
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:01 PM

the bible only tells us not to eat beasts with cloven hooves. like pork.

Mommavieve
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:40 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jenniamigo
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:49 PM

BUMP!

jenniamigo
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:50 PM

BUMP!

jenniamigo
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:50 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)