Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am about to loose my mind! Moms with toddlers and babies

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:55 PM
  • 15 Replies

How the heck do/did you keep your older kids from waking your baby!? My 4 month old is a light sleeper and I rock her to sleep because she just doesn't fall asleep well. I have a 4 yr old DD and a 4 yr old SS and no matter what we tell them they just keep waking her up! Her bed is in our room which is next to their rooms so if we try to keep them downstairs they wake her up by yelling and it echoing up the stairs. If we make them play upstairs which cuts down the echoing on the stairwell they keep coming downstairs and start talking/yelling and wake her up. It makes her cranky which makes her whiny which is starting to make me cranky! I wanna just tape there mouths shut when she's asleep lol (no I would never do that! I find that cruel but it has crossed my mind lol) I just don't know what to do anymore I can't spend all day rocking her to sleep because that's what happens. I spend 15-20min rocking her to sleep, put her down and 10-15min later something happens that they wake her up! Then it starts all over again. And now I am to the point where I am in tears cause I just want her to sleep long enough to be happy and it's just not happening...

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NickiNavarro
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Poor thing, can you put a movie on for the older kids maybe? I have a 2 1/2 year old and a 6 month old

1likeme
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:59 PM

There has to be a compromise.  The older ones can't be quiet all day long and the LO needs sleep.  Is it possible to baby wear.  Or maybe institute a few quiet periods during the day.  My only other suggestion is to maybe put a white noise machine in your bedroom.  Maybe that will drown out some of the household noise and make it less startling to the baby.

rmfanfgljf

the only suggestion I have for is make then sit down and watch a movie during her naptimes. Give them snacks and a drink and make them sit and relax.

littlemama810

I don't know what to tell you. I let my 2 yr old be noisy so my 2 month old will get used to sleeping through noise. I did that to my 2 yr old when he was a baby too. Sorry.

KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:02 PM

I give DD a quiet activity if DS is napping. She plays her computer games, or paints, or can even play wii.

rach_jaco
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:04 PM
Have you tried putting a fan on in the room where baby is sleeping? I have a 3.5 yr. old and a 12 month old and we live in a TINY apartment. We all sleep with fans on so that kids of drowns out the other noises. We've never had a problem with Ava waking the baby and she is LOUD!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JenniferZiemba
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Threats!

LizJones1229
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:09 PM

I can totally relate to you! My 2 yr old is so loud, I dont even think she is able to be quiet hahahaha I have from the time baby came home, let her play like normal so baby gets used to it being somewhat loud since she is loud and I do daycare in my home also. My 5 yr old knows what an inside voice  is but my 2 yr old no way! lol... I would suggest maybe like op said trying a movie during naptime so baby can sleep. Hopefully you can find a happy medium. Good Luck to ya Mama!

WhiskerLickins
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Maybe you can set up a craft for the 4 year olds to do while baby is sleeping..  My 2.5 year old loves crafts and he's quiet as a mouse while he's concentrating on it.  Or maybe do snack & a movie?  Set up something for them to do, they're probably bored and that's why they're yelling.  My DS gets loud and crazy when hes bored lol.  Good luck!!

MixedCooke
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:54 PM

heck mine tells me to be quiet because the baby is sleeping!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)