Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ugh, Kentucky's newest immigration proposal....EDITED FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT DON'T GET IT

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:23 PM
  • 75 Replies

So now they want to be able to arrest for "trespassing" based on "reasonable suspision" that someone is illegal. And just how in the hell do they plan to determine that? That's so ridiculous. So if hubby forgets his wallet and runs to the store and gets pulled over, he could be arrest for trespassing and have to go through all kinds of bullshit just because he didn't have his identification? I HATE this state.

Carrying your ID is a law. I'm not constesting that or saying it shouldn't be a law. I have a problem with the JAILABLE OFFENSE OF TRESPASSING. If someone is illegal, so be it. However, this is not right to those that aren't. If you knew the way my local law enforcement was, you'd know what I'm saying. This is another way for them to abuse their power and make a dollar. Not having an ID is law most everywhere, however it should not be punished by jail. If this applied to EVERYONE, not just those "suspicious", you wouldn't be so nonchalant about it. I don't know about you, I don't want my husband locked up because of some bullshit law that isn't going to help the immigration problem at all.

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
i.heart.rachel
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:25 PM

Isn't it a law that you're supposed to carry ID anyway?

Elayna90
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:27 PM
I know in TN, they can arrest you if you are not carrying some form of ID. I thought that was the rule everywhere
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shaynas_Mommy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Link?

mommy22boyz357
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Quoting i.heart.rachel:

Isn't it a law that you're supposed to carry ID anyway?

He is suppose to carry his green card with him and does, it's in his wallet. However, a TRESPASSING charge? I can imagine the money that will come along with all that. What happens if his wallet is lost or stolen? In the meantime this is what we have to worry about? The area I live in is VERY poor, this is such a waste of time and money.

mommy22boyz357
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Quoting Elayna90:

I know in TN, they can arrest you if you are not carrying some form of ID. I thought that was the rule everywhere

Under what charge?

mommy22boyz357
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Quoting Shaynas_Mommy:

Link?

I don't have a link, I just watched it on the local news. WYMT Hazard KY, they probably have it on their webpage.

MoMotoO
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Such a waste of resources. I'd rather get the crack dealer on the playground or the serial rapist.

Shaynas_Mommy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:34 PM

I just found something about it, but it says this:

The bill authorizes police to attempt to determine a person's immigration status if he or she is stopped for another reason, such as a traffic violation, and is suspected of being an "unauthorized alien."

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2011/02/08/1627331/hundreds-rally-against-kentucky.html#more#ixzz1DVXYXBuu

mommy22boyz357
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Yea, I'd LOVE to know what criteria they want to use to suspect if someone is an illegal alien without trampling all over our constitutional rights...

Quoting Shaynas_Mommy:

I just found something about it, but it says this:

The bill authorizes police to attempt to determine a person's immigration status if he or she is stopped for another reason, such as a traffic violation, and is suspected of being an "unauthorized alien."

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2011/02/08/1627331/hundreds-rally-against-kentucky.html#more#ixzz1DVXYXBuu

mommy22boyz357
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Quoting MoMotoO:

Such a waste of resources. I'd rather get the crack dealer on the playground or the serial rapist.

Exactly, jeez, we have much more to worry about that has much more of a negative impact. My aunt got arrested last night for a sixteen year old traffic ticket in a state she's never even been to. Got locked up and caused her to go into labor, she's only 6 months along. The baby may not make it. All over a freakin' ticket in a different state from forever ago that isn't even hers. They actually come to her house! Police need to get their priorities straight!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)