Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

UPDATED>>>>>>>TOLD I WAS NO LONGER WELCOMED IN HIS CLASS

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:23 PM
  • 326 Replies

We just had the follow up meeting to having our son tested by the school system.  He had an IQ of 109. He was average to above average in all areas except reading and writing. There was a 15 point difference between the 2 test in those 2 areas so that qualified our son for tutoring through the EC with an IEP for LD( learning disability). Now he will be pulled out for 1 hour during the Reading Center time period each day( the times I was at the school) for one on one help with reading and writing. On his IEP he will get extra time for testing, multiple testing, he can have everything read to him except READING TEST and a few other modifications. This will carry him through elementary school unless I sign papers to terminate services. My son's first and second grade teachers both tried to say have him tested for ADD. According to the results he is not ADD. The school system last month brought in a phonics program to help all students Kindergarten through 5th grade. My son's teacher is now putting him at the computer in the morning that works with phonics and she says she is already seeing a difference. Both the EC teacher and his teacher said they see no reason to hold him back in 2nd grade.

At the end of the first six weeks we get a little progress report. Joey is weak in reading but the letter says we have plenty of time to make that up. Thursday 2 weeks I got several papers that Joey didn't complete and called to find out what was going on. Found out he was not paying attention and did not do a lot of his classwork that day. I asked the teacher on the phone if by me coming would that possibly help him. She said she guessed. So that Friday after work I went from 1-3pm. Then I went again M, W and F. This week I went Monday.  I have a chair beside Joey's to assist him in reading and keep him focused on Mrs. Solis his 2nd grade teacher.  Apparently it's working some. It's only for 2hours  those 5 days.

That first Friday I find out there are 6 reading groups. Let's call them Group A (accelerated) to group F( pulled out EC students). Joey is group E. OH YEAH!!!! I was pissed but determined to work hard with him. We are having him tested in the school system, privately and at home working with the PHONICS program.

Today was Parent- teacher conference day. I was asked to sub this afternoon then had to go to the central office for my county job. So my husband had to go without me to the conference. Mrs. Solis said the principal wanted to talk to him. So my husband tells me that the PRINCIPAL said I was NO LONGER allowed to return to my son's room because it was a distraction to the other students and it had nothing to do with Mrs. Solis.

I am so upset and have already cried about this. Honestly as parents we are not fully knowing what the kids are learning unless we are in the class. I mean I'm a parent and know that there is more taught than the worksheet that goes home or page assigned in the book. My son in 2 years never brings home his reading book( they stay in the classroom). He brings home the vocabulary and maybe one worksheet some nights...THAT's it. So I have no idea what other things they are learning. His kindergarten and first grade teacher were always asking us to visit so not sure what is going on.

The principal has no idea who I am and never seen me. I know this came from the teacher. I sit my fat ass in that chair and help my son. I never speak up, I never talk to my son when she is talking etc.

I am going to talk to my principal who is a  South Carolina K-8 principal and see what I can do here in North Carolina. My son's principal said it's privacy issues for the other students is why I am not allowed now. Hell I know personally 8 of the kids because they play ball with my son or is in his scouts program.  If any of you know anything please share because THIS FUCKING SCHOOL SYSTEM has 90 days to test my son for a learning disability so there's all that time He will have no one to help and he will be lost.

Since this has come up several times. I am certified in secondary and middle school math. 4 year degree and a masters.

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emilysmom8
by Dawn on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Honestly as a parent if my daughter was getting distracted by having another kids mom in the room helping her kid than I would be mad that my daughter is not getting her full education she deserves.. I understand you want your son to learn but so do the other parents..

Leopardmom
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Wow, I don't know what to say. I am surprised that the Principal would say something like that.. Good luck.

Crysrey1
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:31 PM
I can see both sides of this. Sorry I'm no help!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krazeerosie
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:33 PM

The teacher told me that first friday that she had just moved around the entire room. My son was sitting in the back on the right hand side. Now he is sitting on the 2nd row on the far left. So she had a chair sitting to the left of his desk for me. I sit there for the entire 2 hours. I speak only to my son to direct him when needed with his reading.

I have 2 students that I teach that have shadows that sit with them and it's similar to have they are with the students. I do not talk to other students nor ask the teacher for special help. We leave when the bus students leave.

Quoting emilysmom8:

Honestly as a parent if my daughter was getting distracted by having another kids mom in the room helping her kid than I would be mad that my daughter is not getting her full education she deserves.. I understand you want your son to learn but so do the other parents..

honeybee69
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:34 PM

My son is in second too. Yes he is behind in reading. I do not visit his school! It would be too much of a diustraction with me there. In second grade they need to learn to be indipendent. He also needs to be doing his homework without your help.

How can you help with his reading? Read to him every night! Also have him read to you.

Sirenabella
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Schedule a meeting with the principal, teacher, and school counselor to discuss how to help your son at school. 

masonsmommy107
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:36 PM
i would go to the school and talk to the principle my self
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Alyssasmommy412
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:36 PM

I don't know about it being a privacy issues but I can see where the principal is coming from, I would find it very distracting to have someone in the classroom. It would be different if you helped other children but your only helping your son.

krazeerosie
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:37 PM

We do read to our son. I have always been the parent to sit with our kids to do their homework. I will continue to do that every afternoon.

Quoting honeybee69:

My son is in second too. Yes he is behind in reading. I do not visit his school! It would be too much of a diustraction with me there. In second grade they need to learn to be indipendent. He also needs to be doing his homework without your help.

How can you help with his reading? Read to him every night! Also have him read to you.

sharisse
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:38 PM

if you are a distraction to other students, then you shouldnt be there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)