Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

whats on her head?!

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:45 PM
  • 12 Replies
Is there any tricks or tips you used/use for baby's cradle cap?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AnitaVersion2.0
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:47 PM

How should I treat my baby's flaky scalp?

You don't really need to do anything, but if it bothers you, try shampooing more frequently and gently brushing your baby's scalp with a soft brush or a terrycloth towel.

For stubborn cases, some parents find an oil remedy helpful. (The oil helps to loosen dry flakes.) If you want to give it a try, rub just a small amount of a pure, natural oil — such as almond or olive oil — on your baby's scalp and leave it on for about 15 minutes. Then gently comb out the flakes with a fine-toothed comb or brush them out with a soft brush.

Be sure to follow up by washing your baby's scalp with a gentle baby shampoo — the last thing you want to do is leave oil on his head, which could clog the pores and cause the flakes to stick. You might try leaving the shampoo on for a few minutes before rinsing, to help cut the oil.

AnitaVersion2.0
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:47 PM

The oil treatment works well.

.k.e.l.l.i.e.
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:48 PM
Nothing I've tried has worked for more than a day. I'm just managing it at this point and keeping her head moisturized so she doesn't scratch it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cryssi_renee
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:49 PM

My son had it pretty bad at one time. We would put olive oil on his head for a few hours before a bath. 

Kodysmommy928
Olive oil with a few drops of neem oil.
Denecia
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:49 PM
Baby oil and a fine tooth comb is what worked for my dd.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Samanthamommy

This or Aveeno lotion works as well.

Quoting AnitaVersion2.0:

How should I treat my baby's flaky scalp?

You don't really need to do anything, but if it bothers you, try shampooing more frequently and gently brushing your baby's scalp with a soft brush or a terrycloth towel.

For stubborn cases, some parents find an oil remedy helpful. (The oil helps to loosen dry flakes.) If you want to give it a try, rub just a small amount of a pure, natural oil — such as almond or olive oil — on your baby's scalp and leave it on for about 15 minutes. Then gently comb out the flakes with a fine-toothed comb or brush them out with a soft brush.

Be sure to follow up by washing your baby's scalp with a gentle baby shampoo — the last thing you want to do is leave oil on his head, which could clog the pores and cause the flakes to stick. You might try leaving the shampoo on for a few minutes before rinsing, to help cut the oil.

caseyskitten
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:53 PM

When my son was a baby (he's now 5 years old) I would put shampoo on his baby brush and wash his hair that way.I would just do it in a circular motion and rinse well.

I would also put baby lotion on his head and do the same with the brush. He barely had it. I know some people put baby oil in their babys hair. I have also seen stuff at the drug stores/baby section in food stores that is just for cradle cap..

Good Luck.. 

littlemama810
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:55 PM

with my son I just massaged his head really well with baby shampoo and combed out the flakes.

MahalMomme
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:56 PM
I've tried the olive oil treatment. It works but I was wondering if there were any other tricks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)