Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Blah blah blah, go ahead and judge...(Updated)

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:14 PM
  • 36 Replies

Cause I'm sure SOMEONE will have SOMETHING negative to say about this.

Anyway.

My son is 4. He needs a lot of sleep. If he doesn't get it, he's a grouch. And more specifically, he gets in trouble at school when he hasn't had enough sleep.

So...since he's only sleeping for 12 hrs (yeah, yeah, I know...but you don't live in my house...and haven't spent every day for the past 4+years with him, so just believe what I'm telling you...) and not 13.5/14, we're having problems.

He stopped peeing the bed at night...oh...over a year ago, but then, when he gave up naps, he started sleeping for 13.5-14 hrs (instead of 12 hrs + a 3 hr nap). No biggie, but he started wetting the bed again (cause that's a really long time to hold it...which I understand). Well, now he's waking up when he has to pee, but then he doesn't go back to sleep, eventhough he's still tired. So we've moved up a step in bedwetting only to jump back in one for behavior because of his lack of sleep. I've been making him go down for a nap, but that really doesn't help. He just tends to be grouchy all day anyway.

I've thought of an idea and I'm trying it out tonight. I have NO clue if it will work, but I want to talk about it because that will help ME to deal. So...I told him tonight that if he wakes up and has to pee, that he can do that, but if there isn't a smiley face hanging on his doorknob then he has to lay back down. But if there is a smiley face on his doorknob then he can come downstairs (I get up at 4 AM to start my work day...so I'm up before him 99.9% of the time.) The plan is to hang the smiley face at 8:30. So when he gets up at 7, or like he has been this week at around 6:45, to go pee, he'll know to go back to bed and sleep some more.

I hope this will work. It's rough punishing him when I know that his sleep is the reason he's having problems. But today, he didn't even care. I took away TV and he said "I don't care, I don't want to ever watch movies again". He smiled the whole time he was being put in time-out at school. It was just a rough day. Something needs to change...so hopefully this idea works.

Update after first night(2-10-11 4:15pm): I don't think he actually SLEPT longer, but he did rest and he did NOT come out of his room until the smiley face was hung. And since the day is close to being over, my opinion is that he had a better day than he does when he gets up REALLY early. It wasn't perfect, but he hasn't been nearly as mouthy today! So I am going to say that today/last night was a success! We'll see how tomorrow goes, because that is a school day for him!

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kidlover2
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:16 PM

I'll never understand the women on here that ask to be judged.... but here's a bump for you and have fun.

kayjayjess
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Sounds like a good plan to me.  Good luck momma!

My children are the source of my strength, frustration, happiness, insanity, sanity, irritability.  They are the definition of unconditional love.

ProudSingleMum
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:25 PM

It's not that I'm asking to be judged, it's just that that's what people want to do.

Do you know how many times I've had someone on here ask me "why i'd let my kid sleep THAT long". As if sleep is a bad thing for you and I'm damaging him because he needs more sleep than their kid...it's ridiculous!

Quoting kidlover2:

I'll never understand the women on here that ask to be judged.... but here's a bump for you and have fun.

ProudSingleMum
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:26 PM

Thanks. The friend I usually talk to about this stuff is dealing with her FIL's death, so I didn't want to just call her up and talk about it, but I 'needed' to talk to someone!

Quoting kayjayjess:

Sounds like a good plan to me.  Good luck momma!

mysticlady1221
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:29 PM

Good luck!

itzmyzoo
OMG! I love the idea of a smiley face! My boys like to get up at 4am and paly video games! When i catch them i make them go back but don't always catch them! My boys, 19 and under get about 10.t hrs so i don't think 14 is a lot!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bribribri

I'm judging you, can you sense it? lol

Nah. That sounds like a good plan, Mama. Hope it works out well! =]

sexymomma_88
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:29 PM
Sounds good to me. He is YOUR son only you know him. Do what you think is write, and everyone else can kiss butt lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marluvspooh
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:33 PM

My 4yr old sleeps over 12 hours too and my friends and family teases me too.  I'm having issues with his behavior if he doesn't sleep enough also.  He wears pull ups and I'm not forcing the bed wetting issue.  it will happen.

Deedah86
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:34 PM
Sleep is a GOOD thing. Kids need extra sleep. I definitely think you have a good idea. Hope it works!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)