Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A false link between marijuana and mental illness

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:24 PM
  • 10 Replies

The article published today in "Health News" makes the claim thatsmoking marijuana is "linked" to early onset of mental illness.

However, although the article implies some sort of cause and effect, that conclusion has no scientific basis. In fact, the authors of the study don't even bother investigating whether marijuana use causes mental illness or if people with mental illness have a higher rate of smoking marijuana than the general public.

If marijuana caused mental illness, then cultures that have a higher rate of marijuana smoking than the U.S. should have a higher rate of mental illness. But in fact, the opposite is true. Cultures with higher rates of marijuana consumption have lower rates of mental illness than the United States. This would indicate that rather than marijuana causing mental illness, as your article implies, it is people with mental illness who are self medicating with marijuana in order to alleviate their symptoms.

This (more correct) reading of the data, however, does not fit the narrative being presented by the politicians who are making their careers by "getting tough" on marijuana smokers, nor does it fit the narrative of the manufacturers of the currently legal psychotropic drugs, like Prozac and Zoloft, who stand to lose billions of dollars ifmedical marijuana is legalized, and who funnel millions of dollars to those politicians who present their dubious science as fact.

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JAJA_Steele
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:27 PM

popcorn

I am just waiting for it :-) 

FL2AK
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:28 PM
I don't think that marijuana causes mental health issues, but just like with alcohol people with mental illness are more prone to using marijuana.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mama07Shorty
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:29 PM

bump

tsweetkissest
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:31 PM
I like the pic
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aislinn
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:31 PM

The misinformation about Cannabis is staggering. Peoples preconceived notions and the government force feeding us bullshit leads to prohibition. Of course, all people need to do is ask one simple question and they will find the answer to why cannabis is REALLY illegal in this country. Why is HEMP illegal? You cannot smoke it and get high. Maybe because if cannabis became legal Big Oil, Big Textile, Big Pharma and the BIG one, POLITICIANS would lose BIG BUCKS?  America, you are being suckered.

Aislinn
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Quoting FL2AK:

I don't think that marijuana causes mental health issues, but just like with alcohol people with mental illness are more prone to using marijuana.

Cannabis can alleviate symptoms of certain mental issues. Depression being one of them. ALCOHOL is not helpful, to anyone, for any reason. The two are not comparable.

FL2AK
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:37 PM
Did I say they were? Quit being defensive. I am stating a fact that there is more substance abuse (alcohol and drugs of any kind including tobacco) among those who have a mental illness. I believe that the mental illness comes first not that marijuana can cause it.

Quoting Aislinn:

Quoting FL2AK:

Cannabis can alleviate symptoms of certain mental issues. Depression being one of them. ALCOHOL is not helpful, to anyone, for any reason. The two are not comparable.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mama07Shorty
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:47 PM

bump

ashellbell
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:48 PM

two words....willie nelson. that guy will live forever. pot is the miracle drug. i looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove it.

Astaroth
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:51 PM
I believe that a lot of people who are considered outcasts from society for reasons including, but not limited to, sexual orientation and mental illness, can start using alcohol or drugs to deal with the closed-minded people in society who classify them as such.

I don't believe marijuana causes mental illness or anything of the like. I call bs.

Quoting FL2AK:

Did I say they were? Quit being defensive. I am stating a fact that there is more substance abuse (alcohol and drugs of any kind including tobacco) among those who have a mental illness. I believe that the mental illness comes first not that marijuana can cause it.

Quoting Aislinn:

Quoting FL2AK:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)