Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

She says it doesn't make a difference but I beg to differ

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:28 PM
  • 27 Replies

I know most of my posts are about my MIL.  So many issues.  She's actually not around much, I don't know what she doesn during the day....don't really care. 

During the time she's been here I've noticed a sharp increase in our water bill and electricity. 

I've noticed that she does laundry everyday.  Her "loads" only consist of a days worth of SINGLE OUTFITS.  She washes these on large load, with extra rinse, then dries them at the highest level.  So the washing machine is running everyday, 2 times a day with these teeny tiny loads. 

Before she came, it would run only one day a week for three large full loads.  That's it. 

We asked her not to do these small loads.  She has racks and luggages full of clothes, so I don't understand why she needs to wash the outfits she wore during that day during the night.  We did confront her last night.  Presented her with the bills, and showed her how the electricity bill increased by $100 and the water bill by $80.  She denied washing every night, she said her loads were always full loads.  She said that it wouldn't even make a difference anyways and that I was just being an instigator and that I just wanted money from her.  Then she blamed my son for watching TV all the time.  He watches maybe an hour of TV a day...and he turns it off when he's done.  So whatever. 

So, today is my day off.  I went to wash and I saw one load of her clothes in the dryer consisting of 2 pairs of panties, socks, pajamas and her daytime outfit from yesterday.  Then in the washer was 1 pair of panties, bra, socks, jeans, and a blouse.  The load was set on heavy, extra rinse. 

I took a picture, sent it to her and my husband.  I am beyond irritated.  Yes, it does make a difference in the bill.  I am going to have her write a check for the increase TONIGHT because this is ridiculous. 

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.proud.mama.
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:29 PM

Good for you, I would too! 

Kodysmommy928
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:30 PM
Good luck! I would be pissed too, but I would have never let her come stay.
katiegirl
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:32 PM
Wow wonder why the need ro wash the days clothes that night. Wonder I she's always done that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommytoeandb
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:33 PM

Weird.  My MIL had the opposite problem.  She wouldn't wash her clothes....just buy new ones of the clearance rack at Target.  But...she didn't live her. 

mommytoeandb
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:34 PM

And...it might be cheaper to install locks.   

amomynous_j
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:37 PM

that's ridiculous!

Kaybean
by Kayleen on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:37 PM

Yes it absolutely would make a big difference. You're totally right and she knows it. A huge chunk of our electricity bill is laundry. It can really cost a lot of money. I remember seeing your other post about your MIL just showing up at your doorstep to stay with you guys. I would be irate if I were you too. Either she doesn't understand what a full load is, or she's just playing dumb and has no respect for you and your money. If I were you, I would tell her that she can do as many loads as she wants, but she's gonna pay money towards the electricity bill every time she does one. If she doesn't have respect for you guys, you should tell her she has a month to move out.

TTC a GIRL? Want a GIRL in the future?
Join this group!!! We share tips and
methods for conceiving that baby girl!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/22322

4everJs
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:40 PM

She has nowhere to go.  Both her sons (my DH and BIL) live here...they are all she has.  Soooo this is really her only option.  I am not a malicious person that will send someone packing to be homeless...mostly out of love and respect for my husband.  I am giving her some time to get her shit together...but that's all it is...time.  HOWEVER, this is under the condition that she has a little more respect.  She is cutting her time short every day. 

Quoting Kodysmommy928:

Good luck! I would be pissed too, but I would have never let her come stay.

4everJs
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:44 PM

She totally knows that it's not a full load.  Her time is limited.  I remind her and my husband everyday.  It may be rude on my part......but she needs to be told.  Everyday has just been a struggle and I refuse to live forever like this.  Temporary is okay, I understand that losing your job suddenly and having nowhere to go is hard.  If she wasn't such a horrible person, I probably would be warmer...but she is rude to my kids.  She is doing this crap with the laundry...and she pees with the door open!!  LMAO tmi I know...but seriously, I am tired of walking through the hall and being "surprised". 

Quoting Kaybean:

Yes it absolutely would make a big difference. You're totally right and she knows it. A huge chunk of our electricity bill is laundry. It can really cost a lot of money. I remember seeing your other post about your MIL just showing up at your doorstep to stay with you guys. I would be irate if I were you too. Either she doesn't understand what a full load is, or she's just playing dumb and has no respect for you and your money. If I were you, I would tell her that she can do as many loads as she wants, but she's gonna pay money towards the electricity bill every time she does one. If she doesn't have respect for you guys, you should tell her she has a month to move out.

4everJs
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:47 PM

She's lived as a caregiver rent free with an elderly woman for 5 years.  I'm sure she did it at her house too...racking up her water/electricity bill and taking her out to lunch/dinner at fancy restaraunts on this little old ladies dollar. She didn't have to pay rent or utilities for 5 years...so it's probably not something she thinks about because it doesn't matter to her.  Well it's going to matter to her now. 

Quoting katiegirl:

Wow wonder why the need ro wash the days clothes that night. Wonder I she's always done that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)