Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why does breast milk dry up?

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:53 PM
  • 17 Replies

I delivered DS via c section, he and I both had some minor complications. He recieved light therapy because he was jaundice. That's why we spent a few extra days in the hospital. My supply come in fast and strong. I was pumping one day and the nurses couldn't believe how much I had and how quickly. But within a week it was all gone. I was completely dry.

I'm not pregnant and I'm not trying either just wondering why this happens? Does anyone know? Did this happen to anyone else?

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OrionsMyBabyman
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:56 PM
No idea but I've always wondered about that with csection moms who seem to dry up quickly. I know that when you pass the placenta that is when your body knows the baby is here and its time to start making colostrum then milk...if you have a csection do they just bring the placenta out of your stomach as well? I obviously have no clue about csections lol. Just was wondering if something about the procedure affects the BF relationship.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KreatingMe
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:59 PM

I think there might be a c section connection too! I have no evidence, just a hunch. I think I read that there is believed to a connection between milk drying up and PPD and c sections but I don't know the " why's" of it. I don't even know if it's true.

My colostrum came in right away and my milk came very quickly after, unfortunately it also left very quickly.

Bits08
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:59 PM

Breastfeeding is controlled by a hormone.  Im not sure if C-Sections have any effect on the hormone though.

tarinah
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:01 PM

just you keep pumping every 2 hours the whole time?  i also had 2 sections, the 1st one at 35 weeks my milk never came in at all.  The 2nd one full term i had lots and was able to BF til 14 months

KreatingMe
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:02 PM

That's very interesting, although it wasn't diagnosed I think I might have had mild PPD too.  I  might look into this. Btw, my son is 5 so it doesn't matter now, I'm just looking for answers.

Quoting Bits08:

Breastfeeding is controlled by a hormone.  Im not sure if C-Sections have any effect on the hormone though.

Sweet_Britt
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:05 PM

Keep pumping and nursing. Its all supply and demand!

I had 3 emergency c-sections, had Pre E and HELLP, had steroids, and other meds and still was able to pump and went on to exclusively breastfeed my 28 week baby.

Keep demanding and your breasts will keep supplying. 

KreatingMe
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Quoting Sweet_Britt:

Keep pumping and nursing. Its all supply and demand!

I had 3 emergency c-sections, had Pre E and HELLP, had steroids, and other meds and still was able to pump and went on to exclusively breastfeed my 28 week baby.

Keep demanding and your breasts will keep supplying. 

Ahh. So you use it or lose it?

eeyoreplus4
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:11 PM

I have no clue what causes breast milk to dry up.

I had 3 c-sections & had more than enough milk to nurse. In fact after I stopped nursing my oldest dd, I couldn't get my milk to completely stop & still had some milk production when I found out I was pregnant again with my youngest ds 3 & 1/2 years later. My problem was trying to get it to stop.

KreatingMe
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Quoting eeyoreplus4:

I have no clue what causes breast milk to dry up.

I had 3 c-sections & had more than enough milk to nurse. In fact after I stopped nursing my oldest dd, I couldn't get my milk to completely stop & still had some milk production when I found out I was pregnant again with my youngest ds 3 & 1/2 years later. My problem was trying to get it to stop.

lol. I guess it can go either way,  too little or too much.

lilahsmommie
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:14 PM

it is supply and demand for one. 2 a pump does not inicate supply.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)