Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Your thoughts on special ed. diplomas

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:09 PM
  • 130 Replies

For those that do not what this is a special ed. dilpoma is when a student has been in special ed. throughout most or pretty much all their school career and they get a certificate of completion instead of a regular high school diploma. There may be other reasons it is given but that is the most familar one I know of.

I hate them. I think they do a great disservice to the student. Even of they wanted to and could get in they would never be able to attend college with one of these things. They would have to get a GED and if they come into a class program they will likely be there years trying to get a GED.

Schools should be striving to get these kids to state standards so they can get a dilpoma. Imagine being in school for 14 YEARS and the best you can get is a cert. of completion that won't do you any good for work or college.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you TheGreatCthulhu for the siggy!!!!

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2gud2btrue
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:11 PM

my son would never be able to keep up at a college so i've honestly not thought that much about this.  good question!

MissLeanna
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:12 PM

in my distrcit they have an "honors" program and they can recieve a diploma.

laranadtony
by Emerald Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:15 PM

There are 3 kinds of diplomas.Certificate of completion,occupational diploma and general diploma.Then you have the GED.

M.I.A...P.O.W
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Some have that and some don't. But in most if you can not at least meet state standards you will not get a regular diploma.

I was just reading an article about a boy with Autism and he is really smart but he also has a math processing disability. And because of that disability he does not meet state standards and will recieve a SP. Ed. Diploma.

honeyrder
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:17 PM

I HATE them!

honeyrder
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:17 PM

Did he get a chance to take the graduation test?

Quoting M.I.A...P.O.W:

Some have that and some don't. But in most if you can not at least meet state standards you will not get a regular diploma.

I was just reading an article about a boy with Autism and he is really smart but he also has a math processing disability. And because of that disability he does not meet state standards and will recieve a SP. Ed. Diploma.

M.I.A...P.O.W
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:18 PM

Around here they get cert. of completion. Why spend 14 years in school if the best you can get is a completion piece of paper. What a waste of a lot of time IMO.

Quoting laranadtony:

There are 3 kinds of diplomas.Certificate of completion,occupational diploma and general diploma.Then you have the GED.

Thank you TheGreatCthulhu for the siggy!!!!

Mommy2ZOEBETH
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:19 PM

If a student is special ed. It is pretty unlikely that they will be able to complete the coursework required to get a diploma and like you said, years for them to get a G.E.D. (which is actually more difficult to pass). That being said, It is probably fairly safe to assume that they would not be attending college to get degrees to go on and have careers.Correct me if I am wrong,but this certificate shows that they attended the years through high school in classes that have been modified specifically for them.How would it be doing them a disservice if they could not attend college with their level of education anyway?At least it is something saying they finished and like another poster said, I have heard of honors programs for special ed. as well.

ashmarie08
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:20 PM

The special ed kids got a diploma & walked across stage just like I did.

AmaliaD
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:21 PM

There are colleges that allow those students.   they are not the big state schools but many smaller colleges allow it.   esp if the boy in question majored in something he scored well in.   i know some children cannot meet state standards,  ever,   it is not their fault that they were born with cognitive disabilities,  it also doesnt mean their teachers didnt work their butts off.  but once a child has an IEP the teachers are no longer considered with state stanards unless the parents ask for that to be a goal.  it is all about teaching the child the next steps they need to progress inlearning because they need that extra time/help/  and the severity and amount of help or need is case by case....   they get something to say they did the work .   but it really is not fair to a college track student who studied their butts off to get the same diploma as someone who had a completely different educational track - like vocational for example - there should be different diplomas.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)