Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Model's Flabby Tummy

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:10 PM
  • 180 Replies

I thought this was interesting. Thoughts?

At first glance it's just the kind of playful picture your boyfriend might snap of you, caught unawares on a lazy Sunday morning. The subject looks glowing, happy, natural, totally at ease with her body and herself.

But something is awry. Something that causes you to do a double-take. Especially given that this photo has just appeared in a glossy magazine. By now, I bet you've spotted it. What I am referring to is the small roll of fat around the middle of this 20-year-old model.

It might be a tiny imperfection, but when it was published in the American edition of Glamour magazine, it appeared amid hundreds of pages of adverts and fashion shots in which the models have no blemishes, no frown lines, no wrinkles and certainly no body fat.

Lizzie Miller

Defying convention: Lizzie Miller's tummy has featured as a story on America's morning TV programme Today, one of the most-watched shows in the country

So what impact did this little mound of flesh have? Were women disgusted that such an offensive thing should be displayed in public?

Well, even though it was only 3in square and hidden away on page 194, this extraordinary image of a woman with wobbly bits that have not been airbrushed away has sparked a whirlwind of reaction - almost all of it positive.

Hundreds of readers flooded the magazine's website the moment after the image first appeared, roaring their approval and appreciation with comments like: 'I love this picture. I was starting to despair of ever seeing real women in magazines and it made me reassess how I look at myself. I have a similar tummy which I hate - but look at her, she's beautiful.'

lizzie-miller

Groundbreaking: Lizzie -who is 5ft 11in and 121/2st - is considered too big to model even plus-size lines

Such was the excitement that Lizzie Miller's tummy featured as a story on America's morning TV programme Today, one of the most-watched shows in the country.

Now Glamour is planning a follow-up feature in November's issue which will include more shots of Miller.

Many of the women who spoke out in support of the image were horrified that professional Lizzie - who is 5ft 11in and 121/2st - is considered too big to model even plus-size lines.

Brave stand: Jamie Lee Curtis showed the nation even Hollywood celebrities have lumps and bumps

Having been rejected as too big, she said the reaction to her picture proves 'that the world is hungry to see pictures of normal women'. She's so right.

What also gives this image such sledgehammer power is that it's not her breasts or her upper arms or her thighs that draw the eye immediately, but the stomach - the area of every woman's body that inspires more agonies of self-loathing than any other.

You might be a mother who, however hard you try, simply cannot shift what has cruelly been dubbed the 'mummy tummy'. Or you might be a young woman who likes a glass of wine and is paying the price with a bulging midriff that just never responds to sit-ups.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1210814/Lizzie-Millers-Glamour-magazine-shoot-How-models-picture-shook-world-flabby-tummy-all.html#ixzz1DW7dNPXp

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maris1192
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:13 PM
I think she looks beautiful! I'd kill for that body!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.kk.
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:14 PM

*love*

davisn1106
Wow pretty awsome
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LatinaMama1181

Love it!! She's beautiful!!  Americans mentality of beauty needs to change, at least the ideas of mainstream media.  I am from a Latin American country and the more curves, the better!!

JAJA_Steele
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Took the words right out of my mouth

Quoting maris1192:

I think she looks beautiful! I'd kill for that body!

3xangel
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Quoting davisn1106:

Wow pretty awsome

graciesmom6206
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:16 PM

She is beautiful.  Love these photos.

davisn1106
Did anyone notice that you can see her stretch marks on her hips 2!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Sugaree.
She's pretty! And I'm glad she is confident in her body.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LatinaMama1181
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:17 PM

I noticed that, too!  But I want to add, her attitude also makes her beautiful, look how happy she looks.  Attitude goes a long way.

Quoting davisn1106:

Did anyone notice that you can see her stretch marks on her hips 2!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)