Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone have a guinea pig??

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:11 PM
  • 15 Replies

My friend got her kids a guinea pig and said they make awesome pets.  She said they are not stinky like hamsters and they are very interactive.  Apparently they need a fairly big cage or pen though, but they hang out on the couch with the kids and like to be cuddled.  Just wondering....... before we even think about it, I would like to know what others who have them have to say.

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
haileys-mama
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:12 PM

they do like to hang out on the couch and such, but they leave little surprises for you (ya know, poops) they are funny though, and definately more interactive than a hamster.

ilovejason
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:14 PM

I had a few when I was a kid. I loved them! I only had one that would bite.. so I didn't get him out much, I was scared lol But another one I had was so sweet. He (well I say he, it ended up being a girl and had 4 babies soon after I got it!!) would just chill on the bed with me. I cried so much when he died. I loved it. I should get one for my kids :)

ColieO
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:15 PM
I loved my guinea. He had long pure black hair that we could put in a mohawk. His name was Gus Gus. Lol.

I disagree with them not being stinky though. They can be. I had to clean his cage every 2 days.

He was a good pet. He was fun to have. I want to get another one eventually.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PhotoMama88
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:16 PM

My cousin had one and he was stinky lol But maybe that was her fault?

aruhl
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:17 PM

I had 2 guinea pigs. I LOVED THEM!!
They were super easy to take care of.
Yes they would hang out, they liked to be held.
Very good pets for kids.
Not nippy like hamsters and much easier to hold

ilovejason
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:23 PM

Now you have me talking to my DH about getting one. I think my kids would love it

Embers88
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:25 PM

My brother's little girl got one for her bday. It is the sweetest thing ever! He just hangs out, and he likes to be scratched under his chin. A lot of guinea pigs bite though, so make sure you get one that doesn't.

bluelola
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Any more info??  I heard it's better to get two because they get lonely??

2purrfect
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 6:55 PM

I have two.  You want them?  They are very sweet, but I am tired of taking care of them.  They were a birthday gift and my 11 year old does not take care of them.  They do need a large cage and it can get pricey.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)