Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kindergarten OVERLOAD?!?! (edit w/ poll)

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:42 PM
  • 58 Replies

Poll

Question: How much homework do you feel a child should have in kindergarten? READING A BOOK IS NOT INCLUDED UNLESS WORKSHEETS ARE WITH IT.

Options:

1-2 pages daily

3-5 pages daily

1-5 pages for weekends

none

other (explain below)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 65

View Results

My daughter is in kindergarten this year which runs from 9:05 am - 3:55 pm. Fine. She was dealing with that pretty well for the most part. Well ... then comes the weekly homework folder. She gets it on a Friday and has until Tuesday to complete about 4 pages of work. 

And that was okay too. Gave her something to work on during down time. She loves writing and all that and does it any other time.

After the first of the year some girls started reading groups. My 5 year old is one of them. Participation in that reading group requires her to read the book once a night and do 3-4 pages of reading homework. SHE'S FRIGGIN 5. She gets home @ 4:15. I mean ... the homework takes about an hour each day. She has about 4 hours from coming home and then going to bed ... and then minus an hour for MORE HOMEWORK?!?!! 

Does any one else thinks this is far too much for a 5 year old? Is it REALLY neccessary? I mean ... she knows the work. But the instructions aren't exactly easy to figure out. I have to re-read them a couple of times. It's not like she can do this without any sort of help whatsoever. When is she supposed to be a CHILD? When is she supposed to relax? Or PLAY? Or spend time with her little brother? And what if I was the only SAH parent? Or a single, working mother? HOW THE HELL WOULD THAT WORK?! Stupid, arrogant school district. :-/

Anybody else's kindergartener dealing with something similar?  Any mom's feel as overloaded by this as I do?

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kaelaasmom
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:44 PM
Kindergarten isn't what it used to be. Homework is necessary. Might as well get used to it now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
magpie03
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:45 PM

That's a lot of homework for a kindergartener. My son used to get one or two pages a week. He would be overloaded now with that much homework and he's in 2nd grade.

arianna24
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:46 PM
Omg that is insane! Too much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyBoha
by Country Girl on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:47 PM

Kindergarten today is what 2nd-3rd grade was when I was in school. My DS is in 2nd grade. And his homework.. dont get me started

Homealonex2
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:48 PM

It only gets worse my 4th grader has about 2 hours of homework every night.  It's crazy she never get to just be a kids it's sad.

KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:49 PM

I agree with her having to read each night, but 4 worksheets each night is too much.

lovemyirish
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:50 PM
My dd gets one page on Friday. Its a page with a letter on it. She has to find three things from a magazine that begin with that letter. Cut it out. Paste it on. And write te word. That's all she has
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tryn2smile
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:54 PM

I am a single working mom, and my son who is in kindergarten has about 6 pages of homework that comes home on Thursdays, a read at home book every night and 10 words every night.  It's tough some nights but we manage and thankfully he understands everything and we get through it pretty quickly. 

Sirenabella
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Maybe my son's school was weird cause that doesn't sound so bad to me. In K he had 4 - 7 pages of homework each night plus reading. I was a single working parent. He's in 2nd now and they actually do a lot less. 

breefullyme
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Homework is neccessary. You're right. I get that. It's not about homework. It's about overloading a 5 year old child with work she can't even do without constant supervision. If you're going to give that much homework at least make it at a level where they can attempt it independently. 

Quoting Kaelaasmom:

Kindergarten isn't what it used to be. Homework is necessary. Might as well get used to it now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)