Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you do it, and what age?

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:29 PM
  • 47 Replies

My son is 4, he will be 5 in november....right now hes in pre school 2 half days.  Well for Valentines day he had to write his name on all the cards, but he cant.  So i took him step by step to write his name, helped him obviously some.  But he still cant get it his own......when did you child write their name on their own.  and i cant get him to hold the pencil quit right yet, hes getting there. but seems to have no intrest thats why i think hes not doing it.  He wont be in Kindergarten till 2012.  I just wish i had better ways of teaching him. His name is Sebastian by the way lol.

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jessil83
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:31 PM

dd started preK at 4 she turned 5 in dec. she could write her name on her own when she was 3, she needed help spelling it and seeing how the letters where supposed to look. but she could write it herself. first focus on holding the pencil correctly if he doesn't do that he'll have to relearn how to write anyways, than focus on the letters. write his name out on a piece of paper really big so its easy to see and have him copy it.

momofboys631
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:31 PM
My sons 4. He writes his own name, knows all his letters and is starting to read. He starts kindergarten after the summer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jessycwr
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:32 PM

I am a pre-k teacher and we work on writing their names every day! Are they not doing this in his class? At this point most of my kids are working on learning their last names too.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:33 PM

DD is going to be 5 next month and she still isnt able to write anything down. She is just now able to draw flowers and "monsters" I have a feeling she will need the special pencils like i did as a young child.

pse07
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:33 PM
She started at 3. She wanted to learn so we practiced with her
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
breefullyme
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:34 PM

Is their a shorter nickname he could write? Guess that's one thing to think about if I ever have another one. Longer names aren't all that fun when they get in school. ;)

But anyways ... just keep practicing letter by letter. I'd focus on one letter a day. 

Ultimately he's not going to learn until he's ready. Practice makes perfect, but try not to get any sort of expectations for him doing it in time for Valentine's Day. Don't let it cause unneccessary stress. It'll come eventually. Good luck :)

JvilleMom125
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:36 PM

he will learn. His name might be a little long for him right now. but he will learn. Can you put him in pre school for 5 days??

My son started writing his name the first week of pre-k, but hes still having issues writing other peoples names on his valentines cards without seeing the name and still had a lil bit of a hard time... it will be ok!

CrazyBusyX4
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:38 PM
Oh wow that's a long name. No wonder he is having trouble. My kids were around 4 but I taught them all their nicknames which are only 3 letters. I remember having to do that too I helped ALOT.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:40 PM

My son was 3 years old.  He can write all letters upper and lower case as well.  

Our family is complete!

breefullyme
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Quoting momofboys631:

My sons 4. He writes his own name, knows all his letters and is starting to read. He starts kindergarten after the summer.

Want a cookie? The momma was looking for a little helpful advice. Not to hear how super smart your son is.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)