Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So horrible!! I cant even imagine what this poor woman is going through

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:59 PM
  • 11 Replies

Expectant mother mistakenly given abortion pill by supermarket pharmacist

A pregnant woman in Colorado who was mistakenly given an abortion pill by a drugstore pharmacist now must suffer an agonizing wait before finding out if her unborn child will survive.

Mareena Silva, who is six weeks pregnant with her first child, said a pharmacist at a Safeway in Fort Lupton last week accidentally gave her the drug methotrexate, which is used in chemotherapy treatments and can terminate pregnancies, Denver"s KMGH-TV reported.

Thinking it was her prescribed antibiotic, Silva took the pill. Shortly thereafter, she began to feel sick and checked the label on the bottle.

When she realized she"d been given the wrong pills, she called her doctor, who told her to try to vomit the medicine back up.

Soon after, she was rushed to the hospital, where doctors gave her charcoal to try to absorb the drug, she said.

But the treatment may not have worked. Doctors said she could have a miscarriage or give birth to a baby with severe defects.

They also said she could have a healthy child.

"For all this to happen now, it's really overwhelming to know that I have to come home and sit and wait," Silva told the station.

Safeway admitted the mistake and said the abortion drug was intended for a 59-year-old woman who has the same last name and a similar first name as Silva.

"We have extended our sincere apologies to Ms. Silva and offered to pay any medical expenses incurred as a result of the prescription error," Safeway said in a statement. "We understand the anxiety this has caused and the difficulty of Ms. Silva's situation."

Silva told KMGH-TV that the apology didn't matter.

"Sorry is not going to cut it. I'm going to have to deal with this a long time," she said.

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Italiancouture7
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:59 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2011/02/09/2011-02-09_expectant_mother_mistakenly_given_abortion_pill_by_supermarket_pharmacist.html?r=news%2Fnational LINK
momma2mms
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:02 PM

wow...... that is why i read everything. yes they (the drugstore) were at fault, but she didnt even read the dosing instructions. i feel for her, but this could have been avoided on so many levels.

Kristanna
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Damn. I didn't even know there was an abortion pill...

aviatorswife
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:06 PM

Not only do I check my prescription bottle for my information, but I also cross check the pill online before I take it the first time. My Aunt was given the wrong pills once in her correct bottle. Fortunately she had taken the medicine before so she knew they didn't look right. So, she took it back in and asked if they were the right pills or if the pills had changed appearance. Thank goodness she looked, she was given heart meds for her thyroid problem.

The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.

mommytan860
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:07 PM

I feel bad for her but when i pick up scripts the go in the bin & grab it sometimes just seeing the last four letters of my last name. I always check the bottles & if they give me a different brand i look it up first. that's to bad.

angevil53
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:07 PM
I think she has some blame here too, and I feel like safway is doing their part to help her. This could have been avoided by both parties.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aviatorswife
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:08 PM

this pariticualar medicine she was given was intended for a woman receiving cancer treatments , but the pill has also been used to cause abortions.

Quoting Kristanna:

Damn. I didn't even know there was an abortion pill...

The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.

PhotoMama88
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:11 PM
Sad but should always read the meds. Is her baby ok though?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thismomkixazz
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:25 PM

Yeah. I have to say that while I feel deeply sorry for her, I can't help but wonder why she didn't check the labels better. Maybe I'm just paranoid about it, but I triple check prescriptions. I check when I pick them up from the pharmacy and several times when I come home, especially when they are prescriptions for my kids. So while there is definitely fault with the pharmacy, there is fault with her, too.  I hope everything turns out ok for the baby.

beautisticaware
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:34 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)