Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A form of PA?

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:01 PM
  • 22 Replies

I heard on the local news, this morning, that the city of San Francisco is considering lobbying the state of California to change the law on recycling. The city supervisors want to start giving food vouchers instead of cash to those who take their recyclables to a recycle center (not for those who put their recyclables out with their garbage bins). They want to do this because a lot of homeless people recycle and they want to make sure the money they get back doesn't go to buy drugs or booze. Because they cannot discriminate, they have to make it a blanket rule for the entire state. A lot of residents do not like the idea, they say they can buy their own food and most of the time they recycle and use the money for little extras (eating out, or other entertainment).

What do you ladies think about this? Would you want a food voucher or would you prefer cash?

of 6, Godmother to 3 beautiful girls

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
devasmom
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:09 PM

BUMP!

angevil53
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:12 PM
If u can buy your own food then use the vouchers for food then use your own money for dining out. I don't think this is pa. I think its a good idea. People who are using thisa as income while on fs can't misuse these funds now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
randi1978
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:13 PM

We don't even have places that give cash for recyclables anymore around here.

But, I would totally prefer cash.  Food, I have.  That cash could end up being gas for their vehicle, a night out at McD's, etc etc. 

Who cares what a homeless person buys with their money.  They made the effort to pick that shit up and collect enough to take it in.  If they want a freakin' beer, they should be able to get a freakin' beer.

Mommy2ZOEBETH
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:14 PM

I think that's about the most ludicrous thing ever. They should just do away with CRV altogether if they are going to try this. Way to deter people from recycling.

laranadtony
by Emerald Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:15 PM

I think that is cool.

firefly63701
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:15 PM

I recycle for the little extra cash.  Alot of people do. they should give everybody an option of a voucher or cash.

laranadtony
by Emerald Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:16 PM

Quoting Mommy2ZOEBETH:

I think that's about the most ludicrous thing ever. They should just do away with CRV altogether if they are going to try this. Way to deter people from recycling.

Why?Frees up other money for other things.

We should be in awe at the gift of having children rather than obsessed by our rights as a mother!

shoot4thestars
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:18 PM

i would prefer the cash, but the food vouchers could go in place of the cash i already buy food with.

2gud2btrue
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:18 PM

is alcohol illegal for homeless people?

laranadtony
by Emerald Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:19 PM

That could open doors for parents to teach their kids to recycle to get ice cream or yogurt or fruit of their very own........... 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)