Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Low muscle tone in his mouth and being tongue tied?

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2011 at 3:48 PM
  • 30 Replies

My DS's speech therapist thinks he might have low muscle tone in his mouth and that's why he doesn't talk. She thinks this for a few reasons.

He was tongue tied when he was born and instead of clipping it, a laser was used to receed the frenulum in an outpatient procedure when he was 5 months old.

I am wondering if him being tongue tied and the low muscle tone are connected.  I kept asking my son's doctor to order the surgery but he wouldn't do it until my son was 5 months old. His ST was not sure if they were connected and she is going to ask someone she knows what they think.

Anyone else experience this problem?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Feb. 14, 2011 at 3:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
P.V.Hawkwind
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2011 at 3:50 PM

bump

paaepae
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2011 at 3:52 PM

i never knew they could get low muscle tone in their mouths...makes sense though...I haven't dealt with that particular problem...DS has low muscle tone in his torso....so we see a physical therapist once a week....

Good luck getting everything figured out. It can be so frustrating not knowing..

blessed107
by Sonja on Feb. 14, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Bump

carterscutie85
by *Shanny's Stalker* on Feb. 14, 2011 at 3:54 PM

I am going to be extremely pissed if they are seeing as that I kept on asking and asking for the doctor to order the surgery and he wouldn't. It was affecting my DS's ability to drink from a bottle and sleep on his back. After we got it done it made a huge difference.

babygirlsmom314
by Corinne on Feb. 14, 2011 at 3:55 PM

bump

3boysngirl
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2011 at 3:56 PM

My neice was tongue tied and she talks perfect so it maybe cause of him being tongue tied or may not she got her tongue clipped 1 1/2 years old

KAG2315
by on Feb. 14, 2011 at 3:57 PM

I am very curious as to what you mean by tounge tied... How does this happen? and I am really sorry but it does sound like the two would go hand in hand...

okhsmom
by on Feb. 14, 2011 at 3:58 PM

An endocrinologist could probably tell you if the two are related to any particular syndromes.  My daughter has a weak swallow due to low tone, but wasn't tongue tied.  Good luck. 

yezay
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2011 at 4:00 PM

How was he with breast feeding?  My son has low muscle tone, couldn't breast feed and is now speech delayed.

carterscutie85
by *Shanny's Stalker* on Feb. 14, 2011 at 4:01 PM

It is a genetic disorder where the Frenulum (the piece of tissue that connects your tongue to the bottom of your mouth) is up to high. I have heard it is sometimes not genetic but my cousin has it and he never got it fixed. He talks a little funny to this day.

Quoting KAG2315:

I am very curious as to what you mean by tounge tied... How does this happen? and I am really sorry but it does sound like the two would go hand in hand...

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)