Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

anyone ever get a letter about previous years overpaid taxes?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 1:10 AM
  • 0 Replies

Has anyone ever gotten a letter in the mail from the IRS that they overpaid on taxes from a prior year and are owed money back?

DH and I got a letter yesterday that taxes in 2008 were overpaid. We were not married at the time and filed seperate. We got letters about 5 months ago that we both owed from 2008, a total of 1500. Yesterday we got a letter that we were owed 2700 but they credited 200 to DHs owed taxes, and the 2500 left would be sent in a check to us, unless we owed more.

Today we got a letter that they applied 1300 to the amount I had due also, but the letter didn't mention the last 1200 that would be ower from past overpayment. (the 2700 overpayment, minus the 1500 total we owed)...So IDK if we are actually getting 1200 back or not? If we do, would it come with our regular tax return or be a seperate check?

I plan to call this week....but have had NO luck in talking to anyone in the past two weeks. Before we filed our taxes we tried to call to get a definite total of what we owed...and in the 4 calls we made, we were told different/incorrect info each time. One time they told us we owed nothing, and the other times they got the amounts all wrong. SO idk if calling will get us anywhere!

Getting 1200 would be such a huge plus because we were not expecting a refund at ALL, so getting 1200 plus the tax refund we thought would go to back taxes will be amazing. I just don't want to get excited about the 1200 if we aren't actually getting it. Has anyone gotten letters about past overpayment, and gotten a check from it?

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 1:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)