Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is Truvia real or fake sweetener?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 6:10 AM
  • 9 Replies

I'm trying to do away with the aspartame and I know that's not in Truvia, but is there another fake sweetener in Truvia?

~ Nicole ~

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 6:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 6:12 AM

Truvia i believe is a blend of stevia and splenda but i could be wrong.   What are you needing sweetener for?

mamacifuni
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 6:12 AM

no it's made of the stevia plant...it's all natural and doesn't effect ur blood sugar

ILive4This
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 6:28 AM

Truvia is made from the stevia plant.   I use stevia, myself.   In essence, it's natural.   I'm not sure if anything is done in the processing of it, to ruin the "naturalness"....

eta....Truvia is made by Cargill....one of the worst polluters in the world.   That's why I find another brand.  I'm out right now...so I can't check the brand on my stevia.   I get it at Walmart, in little packets. 

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 6:38 AM

We get stevia from Trader Joes.  I think they have the canister or packets.  I prefer regional honey for myself when sweetening tea or beverages.

RheaF
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 8:15 AM

Truvia tastes awful! It has a "cold" effect too when you put it on your tongue. Blegh!

Does Stevia taste any different?

WAHMDirectory
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 8:24 AM
Aspartame is bad for you.... use stevia in your drinks and it will help with weight, if that's an issue. My dh used to drink lots of ice tea that had aspartame in it and he has seizures.... he hasn't had any drinks with it and has been seizure free for over 2 yrs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CABZS
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 8:28 AM

Aspartame gives me horrible, I mean horrible migraines!

Even w/just the tiniest bite or sip w/it in something I swear I have an instant headache!

Can you use Stevia when baking?

Quoting WAHMDirectory:

Aspartame is bad for you.... use stevia in your drinks and it will help with weight, if that's an issue. My dh used to drink lots of ice tea that had aspartame in it and he has seizures.... he hasn't had any drinks with it and has been seizure free for over 2 yrs

CABZS
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 8:32 AM

Here is what I found & now I must go find this:

About Stevia In the Raw® Extract

Stevia rebaudiana Bertoni is an herb in the compositae family that grows as a small shrub in parts of Paraguay and Brazil. The glycosides in its leaves make it incredibly sweet, a property that is unique among the nearly 300 species of stevia plants. Stevia has been used to sweeten beverages and medicines for over 400 years. A scientist named Antonio Bertoni first recorded its use by native tribes in 1887.

Stevia is now grown and harvested in many countries around the world, predominantly China and Brazil. It has also been vastly popular in Japan for more than three decades, now representing 41% of that country's sugar substitute market. Stevia is also found as an ingredient in many products, such as ice cream, bread and soft drinks, throughout Asia and South America.

Stevia Extract In The Raw gets its delicious, natural sweetness from Rebiana (aka Reb-A) — an extract from the Stevia plant. This extract is the sweetest part of the plant and has recently been isolated to provide pure sweetening power without the licorice-like aftertaste that many of our predecessors exhibited. All you get is the sweet flavor without any calories.

Unlike some of our competitors, Stevia Extract In The Raw does not use additional sweeteners such as erythritol (Truvia™) and isomaltulose and erythritol (PureVia™) to mask the natural sweetness of Reb-A Stevia Extract. The high purity level of our product eliminates any of the licorice-like aftertaste associated with less pure Stevia products currently in the market.

Stevia Extract in The Raw is a perfect natural zero calorie sweetener for your coffee, tea, cereal, yogurt, and much more! Check out the recipe section for great recipes, as well as cooking and baking tips.

http://www.steviaextractintheraw.com/Our-Products.aspx

CABZS
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 8:50 AM

And just so everyone is aware they do say there are some dangers in it (though honestly there are dangers in everything, including things like Sweet n Low)

http://safety.lovetoknow.com/Dangers_of_Stevia

Quoting CABZS:

Here is what I found & now I must go find this:

About Stevia In the Raw® Extract

Stevia rebaudiana Bertoni is an herb in the compositae family that grows as a small shrub in parts of Paraguay and Brazil. The glycosides in its leaves make it incredibly sweet, a property that is unique among the nearly 300 species of stevia plants. Stevia has been used to sweeten beverages and medicines for over 400 years. A scientist named Antonio Bertoni first recorded its use by native tribes in 1887.

Stevia is now grown and harvested in many countries around the world, predominantly China and Brazil. It has also been vastly popular in Japan for more than three decades, now representing 41% of that country's sugar substitute market. Stevia is also found as an ingredient in many products, such as ice cream, bread and soft drinks, throughout Asia and South America.

Stevia Extract In The Raw gets its delicious, natural sweetness from Rebiana (aka Reb-A) — an extract from the Stevia plant. This extract is the sweetest part of the plant and has recently been isolated to provide pure sweetening power without the licorice-like aftertaste that many of our predecessors exhibited. All you get is the sweet flavor without any calories.

Unlike some of our competitors, Stevia Extract In The Raw does not use additional sweeteners such as erythritol (Truvia™) and isomaltulose and erythritol (PureVia™) to mask the natural sweetness of Reb-A Stevia Extract. The high purity level of our product eliminates any of the licorice-like aftertaste associated with less pure Stevia products currently in the market.

Stevia Extract in The Raw is a perfect natural zero calorie sweetener for your coffee, tea, cereal, yogurt, and much more! Check out the recipe section for great recipes, as well as cooking and baking tips.

http://www.steviaextractintheraw.com/Our-Products.aspx

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)