Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

first kill?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:01 AM
  • 44 Replies

if you are a hunting family, what age did you let your kids get their first kill? dd is 6 & told me yesterday that she wants to go on the next hunt & shoot a hog or deer. well deer is out of season but hog is year round. we are hunting birds on tuesday but i don't want to pull her out of school. and yes, we eat what we kill. if the freezer is full we don't shoot anything.

~update~

we did great on the hunt yesterday! i didn't let dd go since it was a school day, but she did help clean the birds & it didn't phase her at all. i think she'll be fine going with dh on his next hog hunt.

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy2bella
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:02 AM
No hunting here but here's a bump for you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
malissaL
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:04 AM

where do you live? my nephew got his first at 11 and here that was a year before he was legal age. I live in MI

lifeisboog
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:04 AM

I was just wondering this too. My girls are constantly wanting to go hunting with Daddy. My dad never took us girls with him and didn't start offering to take my neice until she was in middle school which is way later than when he started taking my nephew.

Mrs_Harsh
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:05 AM

My son got his first kill when he was 6. It was a pheasant.

KimmyShaw
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:05 AM

BUMP

momma-flynn
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:06 AM
Texas. As long as she's with an adult who's taken hunter safety she can hunt on their license.

Quoting malissaL:

where do you live? my nephew got his first at 11 and here that was a year before he was legal age. I live in MI

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
motherof6kidos
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:06 AM

my son just shot his first deer hes 11. and i cant tell you how proud he was when we ate it! i think its good to teach your kids that food doesnt always come from the grocery store.

momma-flynn
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:07 AM
We're hunting pheasant on tuesday. I think I'm going to let her help dress out the birds.

Quoting Mrs_Harsh:

My son got his first kill when he was 6. It was a pheasant.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Mysterious
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:07 AM
I killed my first at 3. My hubby isn't a hunter but my ds got his first this year and he's 4. I think it all comes down to how well the child listens to you cause it can be a very dangerous sport.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
itzmyzoo
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:08 AM
I started when i was 8 going with my dad but i started target practice@ 5. My first deer was@ 11.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)