Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm so fed up with it ( piog )

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 1:01 PM
  • 23 Replies
Ds ( 17'months ) has decieded it's okay to hit mommy. And basically only me! Wth! When he gets bored, excited, mad or just for no reason. I dont spank or swat his hand or do anything to make this behavior ok. I have been grabbing his hand and telling him it's not okay to hit, hitting hurts. Then if he does it again I tell him you don't hit when you hit mommy doesn't wanna play with you and then ignore him for awhile. But he has this temper and he goes crazy and closes his eyes and either runs around and comes back and hits me a few times. Idk how to handle this or what todo really?? Advice please!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 1:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Forget-me-not
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 1:02 PM
It's a phase they grow out of it, at 17 months the concept of hurting you is something they cannot grasp. You are doing good just keep it up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on Feb. 20, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Idk Naeem does the same thing and mainly only does it to me.  He has behavioral problems though and blames me for everything which is why he does that.  In your case.....  all you can do is be consistent in whatever discipline route you take!  GL

MommiE8983
by McLovin on Feb. 20, 2011 at 1:03 PM
If there's no consequences for him then he'll keep doing whatever he wants. You're the mom, you call the shots.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
barrelracer1699
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 1:04 PM

I would say just stick to your guns! I can tell all ready that my way of getting it taken care of will not be one you want to do so I will just leave it at that!

Forget-me-not
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 1:05 PM
Maybe time out, I've done that with my 20 month old? My son would get frustrated easily trying to communicate with him. We do time outs now for fits.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.not.angel.

Do you use the word NO?

armywife009

My Dd is 16 months (will be 17 months next week) and will hit Dh. She won't hit me, if she is mad at me she will hit daddy (I think it's because she knows I am pregnant, she has kicked me in the belly once and I gave her a swat across the rear for it, she hasn't done it to me since). She has gotten better at controlling her temper. Because when she does hit Dh, I swat her on the behind or I sit her in her playpen. You just have to be patient. It is a phase (feels like it will never end though, lol). If you don't feel comfortable swatting, then get down to his level and look at him and tell him in a stern voice that it will not be tolerated and if it continues you will take his toys and he will go to time out. Good Luck!

MrsKuhn
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 1:06 PM
Only for serious matters. So yea occasionally I do.

Quoting .not.angel.:

Do you use the word NO?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
massteria

You definitely need to do more than just ignore him since that doesn't seem to be working.  If you are wanting to take a more passive route...try doing time outs.  There is nothing wrong with starting discipline early, just make sure you are consistent.

lovinmykiddo07

At the daycare we had a child that liked to hit. Anytime she'd hit us we'd tell her we dont like that and ask her to use nice touches. If she wouldnt use nice touches, we'd take her arm, and rub it gently and just repeat over & over "Nice touches" or "Gentle touches". She eventually got the hang of it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)