Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Graphic Designer to HELP other moms??

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 1:04 PM
  • 6 Replies

I am a graphic designer/web developer. I LOVE my profession. It is definitely a labor of true love. My DH took a new job last fall, that was a pretty good pay increase, but required us to relocate. My aunt had always kept my DS, while I was at work. I worked for a web development company and drove over an hour to and from work. It was in my hometown though, which provided family to watch my son.

When we made the decision for DH to take this new job, we discussed all of our options. I even went on a interview for a job at a university. I didn't put a lot into it though, because it my heart it was just not where I saw my career advancing. I did not get the job. DH and I then discussed that maybe my long-term plans should become short-term instead. I want to own my own business, that has been my goal since declaring my major back in 2004. I had planned on working in a professional environment for at least 5 years. Well, children were not on my mind at them. We had the unexpected surprise of pregnancy and welcomed our son into the world in 2009. My plans changed.

Upon moving, I quit my job and became a freelance designer. I am currently working with an online magazine development and love the project. Yet, I am longing for some variety in my work. When I launch my actual business, I want it to be a full vision and ready to go. I have been trying to decide which route I want to take as a designer.

Cafemom has led me to realize something. I LOVE working with other moms. I love working on creative projects, such as handmade masterpieces. I get giddy when I am able to give another mom advice on how to market her business. I have had the pleasure over the last few months to help several moms see a better vision for their business. This has always been free advice and I have made no money off of this. However, I have realized this might be my little niche in the design world.

I encounter so many moms starting their own businesses, just like me, in order to stay home with their children. Most of these moms do not have the money to invest a lot into the marketing of their at home businesses. I would love to be able to provide these great women with logos and social media packages to develop their idea to the fullest. I am thinking I could do this at a lower rate than a typical web development company and not only would I benefit, but I would be helping many moms provide for their children, while still enjoying being a stay at home mom. It is a win-win in my book.

I would provide packages, that each prospective client could choose from. Each package would be very reasonably priced and  I would be willing to work with a mom who might need a little financial help. I also would be willing to throw out some free work for moms working towards a non-profit business to gain awareness for any topic that well needs awareness. The only requirement would be a link to my website in the copyright information.

Does this sound like something that moms or other prospective clients would want to purchase? I will not use cafemom to advertise my business, as I know this is against the rules and that is not the point of the post. I am just now in the phase of developing my goal and looking for possible outlets of creativity to explore. Thank you for reading this very LONG post.

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 1:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mommytohuddy
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 1:10 PM

BUMP!

mommytohuddy
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 1:10 PM

changed title

SLGross215
by Sarah on Feb. 20, 2011 at 1:21 PM

I honestly think it's a great idea. If my husband wasn't a graphic designer/web developer, I'd purchase something like that

mommytohuddy
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 1:22 PM

thank you. I have worked with a variety of clients, but I just think there is something special about moms. Also, the design ideas just seem like so much fun. Brights colors, fun concepts, who wouldn't enjoy working in that every day. Does he work for a company or is he freelance? I am still kind of nervous about going freelance.

Quoting SLGross215:

I honestly think it's a great idea. If my husband wasn't a graphic designer/web developer, I'd purchase something like that

bamababe1975
by Stephanie on Feb. 20, 2011 at 3:18 PM

I think it's a great idea, especially as home businesses become more and more popular.

(BTW, my husband's a graphic designer, too.)

SLGross215
by Sarah on Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:14 PM

He works for a company, but he does side work for small business owners as well.

Quoting mommytohuddy:

thank you. I have worked with a variety of clients, but I just think there is something special about moms. Also, the design ideas just seem like so much fun. Brights colors, fun concepts, who wouldn't enjoy working in that every day. Does he work for a company or is he freelance? I am still kind of nervous about going freelance.

Quoting SLGross215:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)