Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

any advice on getting over a plateau?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 1:46 PM
  • 16 Replies

I have lost 90 lbs. now. I still have 40 more to go to be at my supposed "ideal body weight" according to the BMI charts.

In any case I eat right and I work out for about an hour each night on my elliptical machine and then do weights too. I try to switch it up some. I re-evaluated my diet and everything looks good and I take a multi-vitamen, biotin and folic acid.

The past few weeks I can't drop any weight. I'm so frustrated...not giving up by any means that'll never happen. BUT...I can't seem to lose and it's really starting to piss me off! lol

Any thoughts on how to get over a plateau? Please help?

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 1:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jennmom1
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 1:53 PM

BUMP!

jennmom1
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 2:16 PM

BUMP!

mommy23boyz
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 2:37 PM
Do some pylo exercises a couple times a week....just to switch up your workout a bit..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 2:40 PM

up your workouts a bit, double check you calorie needs for your CURRENT weight. 

Take a SPLURGE day....really it works!! Sometimes you need a metabolism boost. You dont have to go REALLY nuts but eat a bit more than you normally do and give in to some treats....of course if you think it will set up a pattern skip this but if you can manage , a splurge once a month really got me losing again when I would hit a wall

ETA try some different exercise. Your body becomes used to doing one thing and it will stop burning.

jennmom1
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Quoting mommy23boyz:

Do some pylo exercises a couple times a week....just to switch up your workout a bit..

What's pylo? :o)

jennmom1
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 2:59 PM

I'll try that. :o) I've done really good so far and I know i'll never allow myself to gain that weight back. I just want it to keep coming off. I think my body is a little freaked out over losing so much weight so as I get closer to my goal weight it's digging it's heels in and doesn't want to let go lol Thanks for the tips!

Quoting SuperPickle:

up your workouts a bit, double check you calorie needs for your CURRENT weight. 

Take a SPLURGE day....really it works!! Sometimes you need a metabolism boost. You dont have to go REALLY nuts but eat a bit more than you normally do and give in to some treats....of course if you think it will set up a pattern skip this but if you can manage , a splurge once a month really got me losing again when I would hit a wall

ETA try some different exercise. Your body becomes used to doing one thing and it will stop burning.

Elayna90
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 2:59 PM
Change your diet up a bit. Not calorie or nutrient count but maybe add more meat and less veggies for a week or more veggies, less meat, etc.
Change your excersize routine.
What you are doing now has become "normal" to your body. Change it up and you will see results similar to previous ones.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mysticalmalissa
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Lots of ice water, and I mean LOTS!

I lost 120lbs just from drinking ice water. No other changes to my lifestyle at all.

jennmom1
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Quoting mysticalmalissa:

Lots of ice water, and I mean LOTS!

I lost 120lbs just from drinking ice water. No other changes to my lifestyle at all.

Like how much? I drink about 12-14 cups per day of water. Maybe I need more, but, I feel like I drink so much as it is. Does the ice water do something different?

jennmom1
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Quoting Elayna90:

Change your diet up a bit. Not calorie or nutrient count but maybe add more meat and less veggies for a week or more veggies, less meat, etc.
Change your excersize routine.
What you are doing now has become "normal" to your body. Change it up and you will see results similar to previous ones.

Today I'm gonna do this. I'm gonna switch it up a for a week or so and see what happens. Maybe I should add in some extra excercises too. :o)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)