Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you ever been to counseling?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 3:01 PM
  • 24 Replies
I think DH and I need marriage counseling. He disagrees. I'd like to see a counselor together, and separately. We have a huge failure to communicate. And I think he's an emotional manipulator.
If you have, was it beneficial? Was your DH agreeable to it? If not, how did you convince him to go?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 3:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PatriotsFan12
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 3:01 PM

Never have...here's a bump for you!!!

Elayna90
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 3:02 PM
We have. It worked well for my dh. Not so much for me... I have an issue with councelors. Lol. But, the one we saw helped us overcome some of the major hurdles in our marriage.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CookieQueen67
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 3:05 PM

We went to marriage counseling for a year. It did open communication. My dh didn't want to go and said the guy was a quack. I insisted. Eventually the "quack" said that we could control our feeling and I didn't agree with that. I said we can control how we react to our feelings but not how we feel. Because of this we stopped going. We are still married. Not sure that's the reason though. Good Luck.

mb1hotmama
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 3:06 PM
Glad it atleast worked for some things!

Quoting Elayna90:

We have. It worked well for my dh. Not so much for me... I have an issue with councelors. Lol. But, the one we saw helped us overcome some of the major hurdles in our marriage.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jaylahmicah
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 3:07 PM
I see 1 by myself and we are going together next week. We both agreed it would be good for us.
dmcarpenter619
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Yes.  DH wasn't agreeable to it until I kicked him out one day.  After two weeks of being away he decided that maybe I was right and the only way we were going to get through it was to go to counseling.  It absolutely saved my marriage.  Ours was communication too.  Plus we had both gotten so busy with work and the kids that we forgot to just be a couple.  Sounds silly, but it's true.

mb1hotmama
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 3:09 PM
I agree, you're gonna feel how you feel...

Quoting CookieQueen67:

We went to marriage counseling for a year. It did open communication. My dh didn't want to go and said the guy was a quack. I insisted. Eventually the "quack" said that we could control our feeling and I didn't agree with that. I said we can control how we react to our feelings but not how we feel. Because of this we stopped going. We are still married. Not sure that's the reason though. Good Luck.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
adri_nevarez
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 3:09 PM

I saw a therapist on my own.  DH refused to go and I doubt he will ever go.  I felt peace going in and talking to someone.  She was like the best friend you could ask for with the best advice.  If you can't get him to go, I would suggest going alone... I promise it wouldn't hurt a thing and could possibly make things alot clearer for you.

wheresthewayout
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 3:12 PM

My first dh and I went to a marriage therapist and he is so manipulative that he had the therapist,  siding with him and they both would accuse me of not making the marriage work out.

whisper36
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 3:12 PM

You should go

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)