Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you mention it?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 3:04 PM
  • 34 Replies

My dd (9) went to her friend's (10) house yesterday. They went swimming then went back to their house. Some time between 7 and 10 pm (not sure exactly when yet), the mother decided to leave the kids home alone (they are 9, 10, and 8) so she could run to the store. She was gone 15 minutes to a half an hour (again, not 100% sure). My dd was scared and asked to call me but her friend would not let her bc the friend would have gotten in trouble.

Would you mention it? Or just not let her spend the night again? Or what? I'm thinking about having her bring her own cell phone next time, if I let her go back.

Just to be clear, she's 9 and very responsible and could be home alone (here) with no problems. She has a key and knows if we aren't home she will be alone. It hasn't happened yet but she knows what to do, how to act, etc. So it's not a HUGE deal.. but I just want to let the girl's mom know she was scared and it would probably be best not to do it again. I just don't know to say it nicely without offending her.

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 3:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dmcarpenter619
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 3:05 PM

I wouldn't let her go again and I would tell the mother why.

i.heart.rachel
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 3:06 PM

BUMP!

carterscutie85
by *Shanny's Stalker* on Feb. 20, 2011 at 3:07 PM

She went swimming in February?

blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on Feb. 20, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Personally, I would bring it up to the parent especially since your daughter was scared.  And I agree with letting her take her own cell next time.  If she acts offended or what not just don't let her spend the night anymore.

bluebunbun
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 3:08 PM

why was she scared? yes i'd say something nicely as well does she know you'd leave her at your house alone?

i.heart.rachel
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Quoting carterscutie85:

Yes, she did.

Chaos1229
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 3:08 PM
I would mention it . I would just say that my child felt uncomfortable being left alone etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
carterscutie85
by *Shanny's Stalker* on Feb. 20, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Where do u live and how warm was it? We have had a warm patch here but the highest it got was 60, nowhere near warm enough to swim.

Quoting i.heart.rachel:

Quoting carterscutie85:

Yes, she did.

CafeMom Tickers
barrelracer1699
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 3:09 PM

I would bring it up to the mother!! I personally think that that age is too young to be alone so it would be one thing if it was her choice for her daughter but she shouldn't have with someone elses child there!!

i.heart.rachel
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Quoting bluebunbun:

why was she scared? yes i'd say something nicely as well does she know you'd leave her at your house alone?

She was scared just bc she was spending the night somewhere new (they used to live next door to us, our doors were literally 10 feet away from each other, and now they are in a house across town), and because she didn't know when she'd be back. The mom doesn't know I'd leave her here alone because they haven't lived here for about 6 months now, and we just gave her a key and started talking to her about being home alone within the past few months.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)