Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please dont take this the wrong way..

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 3:04 PM
  • 115 Replies

Im not good with wording things but i will try my best..

Ive noticed that alof of kids have disorders these days.. I didnt hear of alot of kids with these disorders when I was a kid. DO you think these disorders were affecting kids back then and the Dr's just didnt know? Or do you think that some of these disorders are happening because of other things? Example, exposure to things that have long term effects on people and were just now learning about them??

Ive wondered this for a while but I dont want to seem like im meaning it in a rude way..

CLICK THE SIGGY TO JOIN MY GROUP

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 3:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wickedfiress
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 3:05 PM

In general, I think America is over-diagnosed and over-medicated.

sandra_t00
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 3:06 PM

bump

lovinmyboys...
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 3:07 PM

I substitute taught grade school a few years ago, and I was shocked at how many special needs kids there are today. It is a dramatic increase from when I was in school. I think there is something we are getting exposed to.

Holly.
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 3:07 PM

I think disorders are becoming more prevalent because of our environment. The things we put into the air, into our bodies, etc. I'm sure disorders such as autism existed 200 years ago, but not nearly as much as it does now. I would also agree with a PP - America is over-diagnosed.

jillbailey26

I would say it's a combination of both, with a touch (very small touch) of overdiagnosis added in.  

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

arianna24
This. Everything is a disorder now a days. (Sex therapy? Like c'mon.)

Quoting wickedfiress:

In general, I think America is over-diagnosed and over-medicated.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
adri_nevarez
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 3:08 PM

I think you are very right... btw you were in my dream last night, you were posing naked for peta haha... I think it stemmed from me logging on to CM late last night after seeing Bethenny's Peta ad in a magazine last night!

bananahammock1

I agree that sometimes people are over diagnosed..

I mean the ones with real disorders..

Kaelaasmom
I think it may be a bit of both. I think that for a long time kids with ADHD were considered to be bad kids. I think that as mental illness became more widely understood, similarities between these kids were noticed and explored.

I also believe that there may be environmental factors that affect some kids.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstasocermom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 3:08 PM

IMO too many parents and docters would rather slap a label on he kid then actually deal with the real problems.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)