Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Online Colleges

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 4:54 PM
  • 13 Replies

Who here is attending school completely online? What school do you "attend"? Do you like it? Is financial aid available? What degree are you working towards?

I've been wanting to go back to school for years, but I'm just working up the nerve to actually do it. I'm not 100% sure what degree I want to pursue but right now I'm leaning towards a Drug and Alcohol Counselor. That would require a Bachelors Degree in Human Services. I used to work at a rehab, more or less assisting the nurses and "babysitting" the clients, but I enjoyed it and would like to get back into that type of work.

Any info you guys can give me about different schools and options would be great. Thanks in advance...

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 4:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Elijahsmommy508
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 4:55 PM

BUMP!

whisper36
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Check Capella University, if you like counciling.

Elijahsmommy508
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Someone told me to make sure the school you pick is accredited for the program/degree you're in.  Just because they're an accredited college doesn't mean they are accredited in that field/degree.

KristyB
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Quoting Elijahsmommy508:

Someone told me to make sure the school you pick is accredited for the program/degree you're in.  Just because they're an accredited college doesn't mean they are accredited in that field/degree.

Thanks for the tip!

KristyB
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Quoting whisper36:

I will do that! Thanks!

Elijahsmommy508
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Quoting KristyB:

Quoting Elijahsmommy508:

Thanks for the tip!

No problem!  She said her friend got a nursing degree from somewhere and all she has to show is $40,000 in debt because the nursing program wasn't accredited.  That would really suck!

How`s my pregnancy doing?

KristyB
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Quoting whisper36:

Just checked into Capella's and they offer a certificate program and a Masters. No bachelors... :-(
bjdmom
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:12 PM

http://www.baker.edu/. I am not sure what online programs they offer. I attended on campus for Radiography.

candlsbybritt
by on Apr. 3, 2011 at 6:02 AM

Quoting KristyB:

Quoting whisper36:

Just checked into Capella's and they offer a certificate program and a Masters. No bachelors... :-(

Hi. I just saw your post and wanted to respond. I am a student in Capella University and I love it! They do offer a Bachelors Degree in General Psychology which is what I am taking, I then plan to go on to their Masters in Mental Health Counseling program. All three of Capellas Counseling programs are accredited by the CACREP (Council for Accreditation of Counseling & Related Educational Programs). Once you finish the Masters Degree you would be eligible to sit for the Licensing exam to become a Licensed Professional Counselor. I checked with the state board of Counseling in Missouri where I live and they assure me that Capellas program will allow me to sit for the exam. You need to check with your states licensing office to be certain. Capella is a wonderful school and I asbolutley love it. They are accredited and you can use Federal Financial Aid as well as Miliatry Assistance if need be. I have student loans and a Pell Grant which so far has paid all my tuition and fees. If you have any questions about Capella I would be happy to answer them. Good luck in whatever you decide to do!

Famousglm714
by Gina on Apr. 3, 2011 at 6:04 AM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)