Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

only child

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:41 PM
  • 30 Replies

Was anyone an only child? How was it? Do you wish you had siblings? Did it bother you ever? Were you lonely?

I just wonder because my son is an only child and I feel kind of bad for him sometimes.

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angie729
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:43 PM

I am an only child. I always wanted a brother or sister. Now that my parents are older its hard being an only child. My ex husband and father of my children is also an only child so my kids have no aunts, uncles or cousins.

SWyvill
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:45 PM

I was an only child, which is exactly why I DIDN'T want my oldest to be an only child. I still wish I had siblings. My hubby has 2 brothers and I envy him because I don't have that sibling bond with anyone KWIM. I dunno I just really wish I had a brother or sister...

Rosesandlilys
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Yes I am an only child, and I hate it.

Shaynas_Mommy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Technically no, I am not an only child, but I was raised that way. I am the oldest of 3 children, but I have a different father than my brother and sister. I came from a severely abusive home and was raised by my grandparents. I never minded it at all.

lv.42.dy
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:51 PM

I was an only. I have 2 half sisters but they were older, much older and out of the house when I was born. I loved it. But, there were times I was lonely but we spent a lot of time with family and friends so most of the time I welcomed being alone. = ) And, my parents didn't spoil me, I had to do chores to earn anything extra I wanted. If I did the chores, I got the extras.

I have a feeling I won't be able to get pregnant again and my son will be an only. I'm ok with it but my hubby really wants to have another.

sodsoldierwife
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Only child here too. Now, I have 4 kiddos myself. 

I hated growing up an only child. Besides my husband (god forbid we ever actually split up or anything)...I won't have anyone to share my grief with, when my parents pass. It kills me to think about. It really is kinda lonely...However, growing up, the postive is that you do get special attention! I was kinda, sorta, a lot, spoiled! LMAO! 

workinghorse
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:52 PM

I am not an only, but my brother is quite a bit older than me.  He left home just when I was at the age to be able to do stuff with him.   My childhood was very lonely.

My DD13 is an only, and she has no cousins as my brother is childless by choice.  I worry about her being lonely.  She has a large circle of friends of all ages,  and doesn't seem to be bothered by being an only. 

(Clarification: My DD does have 2 half-sisters.  They do not know she exists.  She is the oldest.  I hope someday she will be able to meet them and be friends.)

lv.42.dy
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:53 PM

eh, I have 2 half sisters...and I have no sibling bond with them. They hate me because our dad married my mom and had me...I have a sibling bond with my best friend. blood doesn't make you family. kwim...

Quoting SWyvill:

I was an only child, which is exactly why I DIDN'T want my oldest to be an only child. I still wish I had siblings. My hubby has 2 brothers and I envy him because I don't have that sibling bond with anyone KWIM. I dunno I just really wish I had a brother or sister...

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:54 PM

I wasn't an only child BUT I had only 1 brother and I wanted a bunch of sisters. Never got them so when I got older I just had a bunch of kids, lol

Ricanmami1
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:54 PM

i was an only child sometimes i wanted a brother or sister & sometimes i didnt like being lonely but then i was happy that i didnt have to share but then i wanted to share sometimes but then i grew up & was ok being the only child

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)