Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can you just "pick" a different last name for baby?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:49 PM
  • 37 Replies
I know this girl she is married but is suposidly legally seperated from him and has been for a few years now. And she is pretty much to lazy to get a divorce. Well during that seperation she had a baby with another man her now "fiancé" well she still legally has her husbands last name but she says her daughter has her fiancé's last name and there is no father listed on the bc. Now I'm not really close with this girl at all but she said all this stuff and it seemed odd to me because I always thought baby got your last name at birth and if your legally married your husband will go on the bc because isn't it just assumed he's the father? Is my thinking off or could this girl just be full of it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.k.e.l.l.i.e.
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:51 PM
You can give the baby any last name you wish as far as I know.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:51 PM

If she was married to him when she had the baby, then I bet his last name is on the 1st child's birth certificate. She can't just randomly change the child's last name without the father and a courts permission

judybant
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:53 PM

yep... you can just pick a name. If you were to give birth, even if happily married, you could name your child "Princess Consuela Bananahammock" and there's nothing anyone can do about it. 

juicebox.

Yeah you can pretty much put whatever you want on those things.

Quoting .k.e.l.l.i.e.:

You can give the baby any last name you wish as far as I know.

pirate_wife

you can put whatever last name you feel when you name your child.

bayliesmommy
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:53 PM
I'm not married and dd has her fathers last name...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:54 PM

My Aunt did, all her kids are illegitimate so they have our Grandfather's last name.  My sister always says they hijacked it, LOL!!!

juicebox.
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Why bananahammock?  Why not juicebox?  Hmmm?

Quoting judybant:

yep... you can just pick a name. If you were to give birth, even if happily married, you could name your child "Princess Consuela Bananahammock" and there's nothing anyone can do about it. 

haleyleedy
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:54 PM
My dhs ex was still married when they had sd. The husband had to go on the bc then my dh had to get a paternity test then petetion to get the birth certificate changed. That was ohio
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyFlood
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Changing and naming are two different processes.

You can pick any name for your child, but changing it is a long, drawn out process.

Quoting Sassy762:

If she was married to him when she had the baby, then I bet his last name is on the 1st child's birth certificate. She can't just randomly change the child's last name without the father and a courts permission

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)