Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Deciding a child's last name. *small edit*

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:50 PM
  • 122 Replies

My guy's ex-wife is almost ready to give birth. She got pregnant while they were still married. She is keeping his last name (I'm fine with that, not a big deal to me at all), and is giving the child his last name as well.

However, the child isn't his. She got pregnant when she decided to stop taking her birth control and slept with another guy. She hasn't told her family or most of the people she knows that it isn't his child.

Do you think its okay for her to give the child her ex-husband's last name?

Personally I don't care what she does in the end. I'm not angry at her or anything like that, I just personally find it kinda weird, kwim? Lmao

I just want to see what other mommas think about this, and how you would feel about this situation. :D

*Edit* I would like to throw in that this is her first child, and they don't have any children together. 

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BeansandMash
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:51 PM

Ummm, I guess if she is keeping his last name it would make sense but it seems "off" to me.

emessa
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:52 PM

It would bug the crap out of me not to have the same last name as my child. Maybe that is why she is doing it.

.Sugaree.
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:53 PM
Yeah bc she wants it to have the same last name as her

But maybe you should take it to Maury...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EsmeVincent
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:53 PM

well the only thing I would worry about is if she does give him his last name....would she or could she come after him for child support?

ccoyle4
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:54 PM

I thought the baby had to either have the mothers last name or the fathers last name.  If she isn't admitting that the baby is someone elses, it makes since that the baby would have the ex's last name since the mom still has the ex's last name.  So unless the real father will be signing the birth certificate the baby has to have her last name.

MixedCooke
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:55 PM

well it is her last name whether the child is not his or not and usually in the case of single Mothers not acknowledging the child's birth father, they use their last name, which so happens to be her ex-husband's last name.

Binkys_Buttons
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:56 PM

Yuppers!

Quoting ccoyle4:

I thought the baby had to either have the mothers last name or the fathers last name.  If she isn't admitting that the baby is someone elses, it makes since that the baby would have the ex's last name since the mom still has the ex's last name.  So unless the real father will be signing the birth certificate the baby has to have her last name.

LittleMomma13

as its not his child and she is an ex i would not be ok. If i got divorced I would go back to my maiden name and if the child was not my ex husband's then they child would have my maiden name or the fathers last name.

Astaroth
That's something that I was kind of worried about, but on their divorce papers they stated that she was pregnant with another guy's kid.

Quoting EsmeVincent:

well the only thing I would worry about is if she does give him his last name....would she or could she come after him for child support?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lanie_momofone
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:58 PM

Won't he get pinned for being the 'financial' parent to that child? I dont know much about the state laws, but from what i have gotten on here...if the baby has his last name or he is put on the birth certificate...isnt he labeled as the 'father', wont he have to pay support for this baby?

I dont understand the whole..giving the child his last name, when it isnt his baby.

My daughter has her father's last name, which is my married name (that i still use), but if i were to have a baby with my now SO...i would be giving that baby my SO's last name...not my married name , so we would all match...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)